SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_kennedy

Oh man! what now?

tamelask
16 years ago

last night before i headed to bed, we put 2 space heaters going in our little plasticed in greenhouse full of tropicals, orchids, etc, like we did all last winter. (yes, it's a fireproof surface, they have tip/overheat shutoff valves & all that). i must have set them a smitch too high, because when i woke this morning they were off, and it was reading 25 degrees in there!! it had blown the fuse. boohoo! my immediate reaction was panic. then i calmed a bit, ran a cord from inside, and got one heater going to get it back above freezing before i have to leave for the day, in minutes. looking around a bit, i'm amazed. some of the leaves are clearly unhappy- begonias & stroblianthus for instance, but much of the stuff looks ok- cold cold leaves, but pliable. no frost on any leaves, though there was on both layers of plastic. so i'm cautiously optimistic that maybe the bulk will pull through. last year, it got down to 30 or 29 once or twice when the heaters couldn't quite keep up on teen nights and believe it or not, even silly things like impatiens were a-ok. i did loose a couple really tropical things, which slowly died after that (anyone have jatropa- coral plant, by the way?). i think it was too much of a shock for them. so i'm hoping that isn't what happens this time. some of that stuff i've had quite a while, and some was slated to go back to my elderly mentor who lost mother plants and has no other source. and of course, it's begonias- ahh! i think i'm more bummed about that than anything else- i really hate to disappoint her. i'm just hoping in that case the rhizomes will pull through. i guess the good thing is i'll learn what can handle a large degree of protected cold, now won't i? a lot of time & money put there- most of which i sure can't afford to replace for a few years. so i'm a bit heartsick this morn. i guess things could be much worse and i should be thankful and i am. yesterday was just a stinker of a day and i suppose it had to end badly. :( . but- today is another, and it WILL be better- right?

sorry to rant- just wanted to tell someone that would sympathize. and, if you have any helpful suggestions...

ok, i'm off to do ornaments with elementary school kids. that should cheer me up. :) tam

Comments (13)