SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skram0

My tree has 2 different fruits? Help identify.

skram0
13 years ago

I bought a 16 year old house recently with 1 orange tree and I believe 4 lemon trees. I think the picture I'm showing here is a lemon tree. The age is unknown, but it may have been planted when the house was new.

The tree is about 10-12 feet tall. The 1st image shows the split at the trunk, left side & right side.

The left side, although skinnier at the trunk, seems normal and is bearing the fruit in the 5th & 6th images (the last 2). The fruit looks similar to the other citrus trees. It seems to have very few thorns on all the branches. Each branch seems like a normal shaped tree branch.

The right side, as shown in the 2nd image, has very long thorns on all of the branches. The branches are oddly shaped, a lot of green, and are not quite cylindrical. They are bearing the fruit in the 3rd & 4th images. They seem like a berry and look like they're furry.

I don't know what either "fruit?" will look like once fully mature. I haven't been here for a full season yet. I don't want to think it, but I'd guess the whole right side of the tree has grown from a "tree sucker"? When I moved in I noticed (after reading a lot of internet pages) my orange tree has one sprouting from the bottom straight up to the top about 10 feet. It had long thorns and didn't seem to bear any fruit. It was the only odd looking piece of the tree, so I cut it off. It was a few inches in diameter. But the right side of this tree takes up about half of the whole tree. :(

How can a tree have 2 different fruits?

THE SPLIT AT THE TRUNK______THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TREE

{{gwi:588856}}{{gwi:588857}}

THE FRUIT AT THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TREE

{{gwi:588858}}{{gwi:588860}}

THE FRUIT AT THE LEFT SIDE OF THE TREE

{{gwi:588862}}{{gwi:588863}}

Comments (6)