SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smivies

Silver blue Douglas Fir - named varieties?

I have access to a ~45 year old Douglas Fir that was planted (presumably from seed) by a long gone tree collecting neighbour. It is a fairly slow growing Douglas Fir (~40' tall) with short (~3/4") blue/silver needles. Growth habit is fairly narrow with upward growing branches. Secondary branches DO NOT droop. The overall colour is consistent with a decent blue spruce.

I've known about it for 25 years but have yet to get a photo....will do on my next visit.

I have seen a lot of P. menziesii var. glauca and all I have seen (regardless of age) have a very consistent growth habit and green colour that make identification easy from a distance whether I'm in Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, or Banff. This one however is very different....I needed to see the cones to confirm.

Does anyone have knowledge (& photos) of named varieties or regional populations of Douglas Fir with very blue needles and a narrow growth habit? Might it be worth grafting (or rooting?) and is it worth doing it with an easily accessible branch (ie. absolutely no apical dominance)?

Comments (7)