SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Coccinia Cuttings: Tuberous Tendencies?

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

Hi,

I mentioned in a previous post that I was rooting cuttings of Coccinia quinqueloba, a tuberous cucurbit (which presumably can be treated as a caudiciform). However, with cuttings, there is always the question of whether they will form tubers the same as seedlings.

{{gwi:632348}}

Sorry for the blurry picture of the leaves:

{{gwi:632349}}

These are very young cuttings--only 20 days and roots only in the last week. I just wanted to post a picture (sorry for the quality) and get people's reaction. I'll post another one in a few more days if there is interest.

What I've noticed from the beginning is that towards the end of the cutting the surface looks wrinkled (this may be hard to see in the photo) and the stem has expanded significantly.

These cuttings have not seen rooting hormone, and the wrinkles/swellings don't seem to be related to calluses since they progress up the stem a bit. They don't however cover the entire underwater portion of the stem, but are really just concentrated near the cut end. You may be able to make out on the one cutting that is still not rooted that the swelling can appear before the roots.

So my question is: are these indications of future tuber formation, or is it too early to tell? Or maybe they are something else all together?

And as I mentioned before, I already generated a ton of these (27, although most are newer and still rooting. The vine is again dragging on the ground and needs to be trimmed...). It's very hard to find any info on this plant, but if anyone is interested in growing it, let me know--the cuttings are free.

Comments (6)