SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Coccinia quinqueloba: treat as a caudiciform?

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

Hi,

I had an earlier post where I asked whether Coccinia quinqueloba is dioecious. Apparently it is--see that thread. Mine hasn't bloomed yet, but based on the appearance of tiny buds, it appears to be male.

There is very little info available about this S. African plant.

It forms tubers and I'm wondering in particular:

A) Can it be treated as a caudiciform?

B) If so, do rooted cuttings serve as well as seedlings?

The plant is a rampant grower, with deeply lobed five-lobed leaves. As such, it needs to be pruned frequently--at least in a pot. I suspect it could take over a large area quickly if planted in the ground. Cuttings seem to root readily--I just took some less than 2 weeks ago and several are already starting (3 of 8).

That said, if both A and B are true, I would be more than willing to pop a cutting in an envelope if someone is interested in trying this plant. I can really generate more than I might ever need--quickly (yesterday I took 20!). Even if nobody here knows anything it might be fun to try--other members of this genus seem quite interesting. I would not send anything to Florida or Texas, where Coccinia grandis is apparently well established as an invasive weed.

All I found as far as photos of the vine was a drawing of the vine + flowers (male). There is also a photo of an herbarium specimen, but I have trouble making it out. The drawing doesn't look as nice as the actual plant, which has more deeply lobed leaves with more character.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coccinia quinqueloba drawing

Comments (3)