SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matsutake

mystery citrus and too much rind

matsutake
10 years ago

We recently bought a house with some citrus trees in the backyard. We've identified a few, but have questions remaining on one. We think it is a Palestine sweet lime, with a nutrient deficiency. The leaves on the Mystery Citrus are yellowed and the fruit is almost entirely pith. It is planted next to a grapefruit that also has yellowed leaves and pithy fruit (60% pith) (we don't think it is a pomelo as the previous owner said it was a grapefruit). I read that a phosphorus deficiency can manifest as a nitrogen deficiency (thus the yellowed leaves) and that a secondary symptom is dry, pithy fruit.

I am relatively new to citrus and would greatly appreciate it if the lurking experts could:
1) help me identify the mystery citrus
and
2) confirm or reject my nutrient deficiency theory.

Both citrus are planted in warm, sunny spots, although they get some dappled shade from a nearby ornamental cherry part of the day. They get bright sun in the morning/early afternoon and dappled sun in the later afternoon. While we are in Bay area, we are sunnier and warmer than SF or northern Berkeley (we are almost in Oakland).

Pictures are below:
Mystery Citrus leaves & blooms:
{{gwi:587747}}
Mystery Citrus branches w/ yellow leaves:
{{gwi:587748}}
Mystery Citrus fruit on tree:
{{gwi:587749}}
Mystery Citrus fruit w/ cherry for size comparison:
{{gwi:587750}}
Mystery Citrus, almost all pith inside:
{{gwi:587751}}
Yellowed leaves on grapefruit next to mystery:
{{gwi:587752}}
As mentioned, the grapefruit is also very pithy...... maybe 60% pith and then mealy, dry pulp.

This post was edited by Matsutake on Sun, May 12, 13 at 23:16

Comments (5)