SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kvetchlambkin

Another mystery citrus!

Home
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone! My parents have been buying a new type of citrus and they're always hounding me to eat one because I've been sick lately. I finally got a good look at it when it was sliced open and wanted to share it with everyone here. I have no clue what kind of citrus it is but it looked so interesting and pretty that maybe one of you may know what it is.

They say it is a citrus from Japan and that it cost quite a lot, about a dollar per fruit. Even so they're obsessed with it. The rind, membrane, and the white fluffy stuff peels just like a grapefruit. The pulp is very much like a grapefruit too! It's not sour at all, slightly sweet with a very light flavor. The one I ate actually had very little citrus flavor and not that sweet but I noticed all the very dark green ones got eaten first. I can't tell if the darker green or lighter green is ripened more properly so maybe it was just the one I picked that was bland. The green is so gorgeous though and it has a beautiful shape. I'm willing to grow it just for its beauty even if it doesn't taste very strong. It's very seedy so I plucked out the round fat seeds that looked polyembryonic to plant. If anyone would like some seeds I'd be willing to share some :)

On another note, I also ate a delicious navel orange today. It wasn't the usual monster sized ones I see in the supermarkets. The navel I ate was a bit larger than a tennis ball and very deep orange. The flavor was amazing! Slight tang but also very sweet and juicy. I don't think I've found seeds in navel oranges before so I was bummed that I probably won't get to plant one from such a delicious navel orange. But towards the last few slices there was one seed!! And it's a very round chubby seed too!

I started it and the green citrus seeds on my sprouting process tonight (paper towel ziplock method). That method always works for me lol. The seed was such a miraculous find that I needed to share the story with citrus lovers that would understand the joy of finding a single possible polyembryonic seed! I'm most excited to grow this seed than all other citrus right now! Except a Shiranui if I ever get my hands on one.

If anyone has any idea about the identity green citrus though, it would be interesting to hear more about it!

Comments (15)