SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebloom

re-potting Clematis integrifolia 'Blue Boy' and 'Blue Bell'

bluebloom
15 years ago

Hello Clematis enthusiasts!

We have Clematis integrifolia 'Blue Boy' and 'Blue Bell', each still in 1 gallon pots, purchased (gulp - dare I admit?!) at least 2 years ago. Circumstances lead to almost zero gardening last year, and now we're slowly catching up with much overdo cleanup & etc.

These grew & bloomed last year, & I did get around to pruning them down this spring.... now they are vigorously regrowing - among a jungle of perennials and above 'Abe Darby' & 'Peace' roses (>7 ft or so). Extricated the vines yesterday & took out some of the perennial jungle.

I think the color would complement the roses quite nicely but they seem to be overwhelming them, and I need to do more work around the roses, so am thinking to move the clems. BUT, I presume the reason they are so vigorous is because THEIR ROOTS HAVE sought beyond the pots and GONE WELL INTO THE GROUND (the pots aren't "tuggable").

After a cold-ish & wet spring, it's now hot for us (over 30C). Is it too risky (especially if we would like to enjoy the blooms - they are budding now) to re-pot these lovelies now, or should we wait til fall? I'm undecided where their final spot would be, and have other smaller ones to move about too. Have some invasive perennials to eradicate so another reason not to put in-ground yet too.

I've read advice that it's better to transplant clems in spring or fall, but that they can indeed be transplanted during the summer. But I'm concerned about fitting the roots into pots - so far 3-gallon pots selected, but might be able to use 5-gallon if necessary. Should the roots be pruned at all, especially if done now?

If not moved now, we maybe could try to support them & still manage to get at the rest (they're at the front of the border) by themselves, if we can figure out something tall enough, but they'll block the rest a bit.

Thanks for any advice or comments!

Comments (8)