SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

ROT!!!! What did I do wrong?!

LilBit7765
9 years ago

Ok so I got a couple pots FULL of aloes. And stupid me didn't repot right away but I didn't water at all. I was afraid to because I know that they can handle being dry, anyway I noticed one pot everything one of them was rotting so I tossed took apart the other pot and potted everything up in the gritty mix. Roots looked ok. While I was repotting three pups came off the mom so I potted them together in gritty mix in a small pot this was a week and 1/2 ago. Tonight looking them over the three pups had started rotting in the middle (where the leaves meet at the bottom) there was liquid there. Which I don't believe I got water on top of them because I'm SOOO CAREFUL. I didn't see ANY SIGNS of ANY bugs. The soil they came out of was VERY damp in the middle. I actually couldn't believe how damp it was. Considering they were out in the sun, NEVER got rained on, and I NEVER watered. I thought maybe my boyfriends son could've watered them but he said no he didn't (plus he knows not to touch my plants :) ) they were watered twice in the gritty mix. Are aloes different somehow? Even in gritty mix? Am I supposed to let it stay dry for a few days b4 I water again? I would think if it was from the original soil they would've rotted sooner. I'm really beating myself up about this :( I don't know what I did besides waiting to repot so long. But like I said......my experience with rot is it usually happens pretty fast and they would've had slimy roots or SOMETHING showing when I repotted right? Sorry this is SOOOO long, just wanted to give enough detail so maybe you guys could help me better. Oh when pulling out the aloes the roots were a little slimy tonight they were kind of collapsed??? Another question I saved what leaves I could to try and propagate but I've never done this with an aloe. How long do I let them set out? Is it better to root on top of soil or put the tip in the soil? Thanks SO MUCH!!

Comments (5)