SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morgysmom

Plant recommendations for shaded west faceing bed

MorgysMom
12 years ago

Hi all! I am a new homeowner as well as a new gardener. The front bed of our house was never developed and I'm working on it now. I've pulled two very weak bushes (cut them back and yanked them up by hand) and I'm working on the red clay soil to make a nice spot for some plants this spring.

The bed faces west but is shaded by two 30 year old Bradford Pears and one Silver Leaf Maple. It only gets dappled light for about 2 hours in the afternoon. I'm a little hesitant to buy shade loving plants because the age of the Bradfords. I was told by a tree service that they typically split and have to be cut down after 30 years. Which is really sad because I love them.

I figured if I go with plants/shrubs that will thrive in either sun or shade would be best but I don't know of any.

On either side of the bed are Helleri Hollys. I'd like to plant a tall something or a group of tall somethings to go in the middle of the bed between the two windows. That area is 3.5 ft deep, 5 ft wide and 9ft to the roof. I could bring the depth out about a foot more if necessary. I have a picture of the area but I'm not sure how to post it.

After some research I thought two Berberis 'Helmond Pillar' with a Berberis 'Sunjoy Gold Pillar' planted in front of them might be nice but I'm not sure they'd do well with such little sun.

I've also thought of planting a purple smokebush there but I think it may be too close to the house.

There are SO many plants I love it's hard to choose when starting from scratch with very little experience.

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting