SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ditsyquoin_gw

Rooting old jade- success story

ditsyquoin
14 years ago

I had a 3' potted jade which I would put on the porch every spring and bring into to the house for the winter. It is very special to me as it came from my mother's house who passed away 12 years ago.

When I put it out on the porch this spring, it was destroyed by squirels who gnawed through the fat trunk. I came home one night to find a stump and a dessicated jade lying on the side.

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice. I combined several ideas and found this one to work well for a large old jade.

I cut off the chewed parts for a healthy and clean stem and let it callous over for 4 weeks. Then I put it in on the shaded porch for 2 months,on it's side, with the stem encased in a 50/50 mixture of peet and perlite and a T of water inside of a sandwich bag. The sandwich bag acted as a mini greenhouse with the humidity collecting and dripping enough to keep the soil damp. The key to the success was to keep the plant laying down so that it didn't have to support the weight while I was encouriging new roots.

Once I saw a one inch root, I transplanted into a well drained pot standing up. Lots of pottery chips on the bottom, 25% perlite and 75% potting soil. Bamboo sticks were used for support. For a couple of weeks I thought it was iffy as few leafs were fleshy.

Tonight , I removed the stakes and she is very fleshy and can stand up on her own. She has only lost 30% of her former height and is bushier. The stump is also sprouting new leaves and growing into a very strange looking fat and skinny plant.

I love the resilently of jades.

Comment (1)