SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janetpetiole

Assessing Group 2s

janetpetiole
15 years ago

I want 2s in my garden for the spring show, and this year I was going to assess their worthiness, but I really goofed. I got so caught up in the excitement of spring and all plant moves I needed to make I completely forgot to fertilize the clematis. By the time I realized it, the 2's already had buds. Only the five that weren't moved this spring are affected, but it's still somewhat disappointing.

Multi Blue is full and has nice flowering, but most of the vines only reach 2-3 feet. I cut it back somewhat hard this year, so I don't know if it's short stature is from cutting it hard, the cold, or not fertilizing or a combination of everything. I threatened it last year that it would be removed from the garden if it didn't bloom nicer this year. Well, it did bloom nice enough that I can finally can say I like it, but it will be moved to a less prominent spot.

Arctic Queen had a few weird buds that came out early, but we had warmish sunny days and very cool nights for much of May. More buds are forming, but it probably won't flower like it could have. I don't know if the cold or the lack of fertilizer had the greater impact. Most likely it is lack of fertilizer. Since it blooms on both old and new wood, I think I should fertilize it now. I had cut this one back fairly hard. Next year I won't have to cut so drastically, unless winter does it for me.

Carnaby's growth is weak even though it's in a fertile spot in the garden, but it also has major root competition. I am treating as a 3, although it does have a few buds now. I'm hoping with the warmer temps and soil that it will put on a show this year. I should fertilize this one too.

The clematis I bought as Will Goodwin, but isn't, barely has any blooms. It has always been a good bloomer for me. I moved it last spring, so maybe it's still rebuilding it's root system, but considering that I have always fertilized it well, I will assume that the lack of fertilizer has had the bigger impact.

Miss Bateman, purchased last year and planted right before it snowed, shot out of the ground with an unreal amount of new shoots. I didn't get it spread out onto honeysuckle properly. When I planted it last year, I cut it down to about 8 inches. I wonder if I will see any blooms. Maybe this one needs to be on the fence.

Fireworks - this is it's third year, so I have great expectations. Unfortunately, I had to move it this spring. I didn't cut it back as I was able to get most of the root ball. It barely flowered last year. It has until next year.

I have other group 2's, all purchased last year, planted late last fall into the nursery bed, then replanted this spring. I'll give them another year before assessing, but one is already proving to be a bug magnet.

For those of you who grow group 2s, how do they perform in your garden?

Comments (8)