SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Citrus Scam on E-Bay

eahamel
11 years ago

Someone told me yesterday that he ordered seeds for a "dwarf pomelo" from someone in Canada. The plant supposedly gets about 2' tall and will produce fruit when it's 2 years old. What a miracle plant! I told him I thought that was a scam, that growing citrus from seed will take 8+ years, maybe as long as 15 to produce from seed, and that citrus is dwarfed by grafting it onto a dwarf rootstock. It didn't convince him. He said he would let me know how they do. I found what I think is the seller in Canada, and he does have a lot of dwarf plants that supposedly can be grown from seed, including dwarfed blood oranges and ruby red grapefruit.

I told him not to fall for the blue orchid seed scam, or the black, blue, or rainbow rose seed scams, that those colors don't exist in those plants, they are painted. Several people apparently had seen them, and were surprised that they were scams. He said he like the rainbow rose, and I told him to get some spray paint and paint them.

This isn't an ignorant person, and he's really into plants - I just hope he questions things like this a bit more closely in the future.

Comments (18)