SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

My Indoor Propagation Box

aezarien
15 years ago

I'm just so dern excited about this swap I am diligently working on filling my garden window with everything I can thing of. That photo only shows one of two shelves in the window! Yesterday I decided to try something new and create a few small propagation boxes to put in the window in hopes of increasing my success in rooting some stuff. My gardenias are still alive but who knows what is going on with them. I finally took them outside to the greenhouse and put them in a nice shady spot so I would leave them alone. It's nothing special but I took an idea I saw on here about using bins and mixed it with a wicking system I used last year on some peppers. I am so bad about over-watering cuttings I figured it could only help to put something together where they could get water when they needed it vs. me babying them to death.

I dumped a few of my craft bins into a drawer and put some make-shift racks across the bottom. Then I took eight little four inch pots and threaded some polyethylene rope through the bottom. I filled the pots halfway with a peat/perlite mix, wraped the rope around the inside of the pot on top of the soil and filled the pot the rest of the way up. I filled the bottom up to the racks with water. I stuck the pots in the bin with the wicks stuck down in the water, prepared my cuttings with some powdered root hormone and stuck them. Then of course I put a bin over the top and used a small bungee to hold it on. I have about 32 cuttings in that box and I made another one later so there are actually two boxes in my window now.

I have no clue how this is going to work out but I did take an old heating pad and put it under one bin on low for bottom heat. This morning the humidity has built up so much that you can barely see the plants inside. The cuttings look fantastic as well. They don't look at all like I just ripped them off a plant and disassembled them!

Anyway, that was my project for yesterday and of course you can see all the jars filled with water rootable cuttings and such. I have my fingers crossed!

{{gwi:582624}}

Comments (12)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio