SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lylesgardens

Crape myrtle pre-funeral rites

lylesgardens
15 years ago

Yes, I am forecasting. As the small storms continue to fire off in all directions around me tonight and everyone is getting some rain, I'm still dry as a bone here. So, I went outside to enjoy what little breeze there is and the still hot temps here in Concord albeit taking advantage of the fact there is no sun out, I stood back and looked at my crape myrtle tree that is about 15 feet directly in back of my house.

I am sad to report that I think funeral arrangements are in order.

So I am standing there, and I noticed just how BIG this tree is. It is a massive fella, and has not been pruned ( I would bet some seeds or bulbs ) in it's entire life. It is a rather ugly tree, it bloomed nicely but very patchy, and the entire tree is in full sun. The problem is that there are many dead branches at varying heights within and on the perimeter of the tree.

I realize this post might be better suited for the tree forum, but I wanted to ask my Carolinian neighbors if they had any TIPS or TECHNIQUES for pruning. I also realize extensive articles abound on the internet but I wanted advice from the locals and to share your experiences with these trees.

My tree ( pink flowers, not sure of variety) is fairly old it seems, about 35 feet tall, thick in spots but scraggly in others, very far reaching limbs ( over the roof of my house in some spots!) and it has a total of 7 main trunks, all seemingly grown around each other at the base to form one massive gnarled trunk.

Should I cut the thing to the ground and start over? I would like shorter, healthier and more lush. Any tips would be much appreciated in lieu of committing a crape crime. *S*

Lyle in Concord

Comments (8)