SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandyl121261

8 Year old Jackmanii needs HELP

sandyl
16 years ago

Ok, finally my mom and dad are off on vacation out west for at least 4 weeks. Mom has a beautiful garden and loves all flowers and has hundreds of lillies and iris and other stuff, You would not believe this womens yard if i took a picture of it. She collects rock and has mulch paths that split up all her flower beds But for some reason her clematis don't get the attention they deserve so thats where I come. I got clematis fever from reading this forum 2 years ago and I now have 9 that are coming 2 year olds and for the most part they all are doing very well, I give them daily waterings and fertilize as needed and prune them as required. Now what better time while moms gone for a month to get in there and dig around in the dirt around her 8 year old Jackmanii that doesn't have but 6 blooms on a 8 foot piece of old woody stem. I know i need to clean out from anound the plant and see just what i'm dealing with. I know when I get in there I'll find the ground harder then a brick-o-block, no mulch i'm sure around the plant and We live in Tenn and we are in a dought right now at 7" below to date on rain. Yards and pastures almost chrush when you walk. How should I procede with this project. Please advise me on how I should prune this 8 year old Jack with a long woody stem. Oh I told mom I was going to work on Jack for her while she and dad are away. I have compost and and bonemeal and fertilizer, and mulch that I use on my clematis so I think i'm coved on them items. Just a bit scared at the woody stem and how to deal with that. Thanks in advance for the help. Sandy

Comments (10)