SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carsonsig

protect cut on trunk of lemon tree?

carsonsig
16 years ago

I have a lemon in my side yard, probably 12 ft tall. it grew in two main trunks, basically a V. it was here when I moved in...

today I was harvesting, and noticed that on one side, there was only one branch fruiting heavily, the rest none... the other side has fruit pretty evenly spread... so I am thinking sunlight or who knows what, and noticed some major rot on one of the trunks, I could grab cigarette pack chunks right out... at about waist high. It was probably affecting like 20% of the thickness of the branch/trunk... so I am pissed..

we have been having major wind so I start taking off branches, and cut the trunk down to about 5 inches above the V. wanted to be sure I got all the bad wood.

My question is, should I leave the "stump" or cut it down as flush as I can to the main trunk where it V's. and second.. is there anything I should paint on the exposed stump parts, to prevent future issues, as if it rots more it would likely compromise the other half of the tree.... the wood where I cut it down to was healthy, I am thinking more along the issue of the exposed stump... thanks all!

Comment (1)