SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skagit_goat_man_

Tree Trunk Protection from Rabbits

skagit_goat_man_
14 years ago

This autumn I planted 5 apples on M-27 stock, 3 pears on quince dwarfing stock and two plum trees. Also put in 3 blueberries. For the first time I took time to prepare the area, put in posts etc. I surrounded everything in electric critter netting that has always kept rabbits out of the garden. Last Tuesday I was checking all the growing areas and saw that somehow a rabbit got into the orchard. All the apples were girded for a length of 10" or so. All the other trees were chewed on but don't see any full circumferance damage. The blueberries had many of their branches strippe of bark too. It's a bit of a discouraging start to a new year but the damage is done. The apples have to be replaced but I'm not sure about the pears and plums. I don't want to replace them if a bit of damage won't hurt them but I feel more strongly that I don't want to wait a season and then see them decline. I don't want to waste a growing season. I think the blueberries will come back from the roots. For future trunk protection are those white wraps sold for trunk protection really good? Do they cause damage to the tree and make them suseptable to disease? I plan to replant in March and want to be more rabbit wise this time. Any suggestions/comments? Tom

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals