SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantsonthepoint

Tell me about your items with extra significance...

plantsonthepoint
15 years ago

I got the idea to start this thread after I read blueangels thread about generation-spanning plants. I come from a family that doesn't even put special significance on family photos, much less pass along plants, so I feel like I have spent my life trying to attach special importance to certain items, collections, documents, and indeed, plants.

I want to know what you ALWAYS bring back from vacations. I want to know why the hybrid tea rose by the garden gate is so important. I want to know why the sight of a daffodil makes you think of Grandma. I'd also like to know about significant collections you add to and why.

Thanks.

Now, since I asked I'd better answer.

I do a thing where I have to bring back a rock from everywhere I go. I have them from Wyoming, NC, SC, AZ, WA, OR, TN... and many other places besides. I don't bring back huge stones, just pieces of the Earth from whereever I land.

I also attach special significance to plants brought back from trips. I feel like a modern day plant hunter when I come home from an adventure with an unusual plant in tow. (I don't even care if I made the breakthrough discovery at Lowes, as long as it isn't carried here, then it's exotic.) When I went to Europe with my brother, he laughed at me for trying to smuggle in plants from the Greek islands. I brought a Mother-in-law tongue all the way from Mykonos, until I was finally forced to hand it over to the authorities in Chicago! (I wish now I had slipped a couple of leaves in my socks.)

My other items with special significance are generally given to me by friends. I value a plant more when it's a gift, or a cutting, or a seed, as I'm sure many of you do too. I also like to see a plant that I already have, growing wild someplace exotic. I never knew a ficus tree from Lowes could be so interesting until I saw it, (as big as a live oak,) in Greece. Or how interesting a turkey fig tree was, until I stood under one while I was in Izmir, Turkey.

Thanks again for taking the time to tell us all some stories about your plants, rocks, or jars of sand.

---Keith

Comments (12)