SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ebritt_gw

Zone 7b bed to peak in late summer/fall?

ebritt
17 years ago

Hey, everybody. I gew up in NC but didn't start gardening until I moved to Massachusetts. Now my brother, who lives in Cary, has asked me to design a bed for him that will peak in late summer/fall. I have lots of ideas about what I'd plant in a northeast garden but don't know how well it will translate to zone 7b. I sure would appreciate any advice from experienced Carolina gardeners.

The bed gets about 7 hours of sun and is raised and well drained. My brother likes natives and would prefer not to do too much watering after the plants are established. He also wants only perennials and as little maintenance as possible.

If I were designing a late-summer bed for my climate (zone 5b), I'd plant miscanthus, coneflower, joe-pye weed, black-eyed susans, daylilies, caryopteris, crocosmia, sedums, New England asters, and chrysanthemums. Do any of these not perform for you in NC? Does joe-pye need lots of moisture in NC? (In my full-sun garden in MA, it does fine with rainfall only.) What daylilies bloom latest for you? What asters or chrysanthemums do well for you? What other plants should I consider?

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County