SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dottie_in_charlotte

Oh dear ( I mean 'deer')

Once the utility company bushhogged and trimmed up the growth in the easement behind my little forest, the deer disappeared. We've had up to 18 in the neighborhood and they'd cycle through this area every 2-3 weeks, moving when the food was depleted. In winter they nibbled some shrubs but they've never invaded my borders or bothered my flowers.

So they've been gone and my gardens are lush and I was lulled into thinking I was safe.

One wandering deer last week decimated my purslane. Left the roses and all the other smorgasboard of deer delights untouched in the same bed. My prized coleus collection is unharmed. Just the purslane. Didn't eat much but bit off the sprigs leaving just the base of the plant with the sprigs scattered everywhere . (they root easy so I have replacements)

I moved here armed to the teeth with bars of Irish Spring but never needed them til now.

Thinking also to get some dark green plastic forks and fork the bed.

Anyone have any luck with the stinky soap method of deterring deer? I don't want to spray any disgusting smelling stuff since the bed is along a walkway.

Comments (11)