SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezy_fl

One good deed deserves another (boy,did I hit the mother-load!)

Breezy_Fl
18 years ago

About a year ago,before I started growing Brugs,I always passed by my neighbors down the street and admired her 4 LARGE (huge) brugs.One day I stopped and kindly asked her for a cutting.She was generous enough to pull up the sucklings from the bottom and give them to me.I was SO excited and thankful!
So,its been over a year now,and yesterday I went out and trimmed some bottom growth off one of my Pink brugs and thought I would take my neighbor the cuttings...just being neighborly.
She was so thankful and appreciative when I handed them to her and thanked her for her initial generosity.
Then to my surprise,she offered me more cuttings,which I told her I would get some other time,b/c I was running errands at the time.
Then she told me to take the WHOLE plant.Apparently,the roots are interfering with her septic and she was going to chop it down and throw it away...gasp! This Brug (yellow) is every bit of 12 foot tall by 12 foot wide.It's a traffic stopper when it's in full bloom!
So,in about 2 weeks I have to go over and hep her dig it up.Again,I'm so excited....but am I in over my head? Can it be dug up whole...or is this a major job? Will it grow okay if I was to replant the whole thing?
Should I cut it back and dig it up,trim the roots and try to re-plant it at my house?
Or should I just cut it all up and do the bucket-of-brugs method? If I do that,I will have every bit of 100-200 cuttings...easy!

I'm so glad she offered it to me,b/c I will give it a good home. I just can't imagine passing by to see it all chopped up in the trash or worse yet...to see it go thru the chipper!

I'm SO EXCITED!!!

Happy Gardening!
Breezy

P.S.
I offered her cuttings of my other brugs when they were large enough to take cuttings.She was quite excited to have another color other than yellow.

Comments (6)