SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_near_eno

So when is the fall Raleigh Swap?

brenda_near_eno
17 years ago

John, what's the date, oh keeper of the bountiful Raleigh swap?

Comments (22)

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Ya know, I got that state fair thing goin on, kinda keepin me distracted.... so the other day I says to myself, I says "Self, its about time to pick a date for the Bing Bang Biggest Gardening Event of the year!" and thats 'bout as far as I got.

Here's what I do know. It will more than likely be at Creech Road Park just like the spring swap. Same Rules, Same time frames etc. My quandry is - do I move it earlier in the year and have it on Saturday Sept 9th? or do I keep it at the end of the month and aim for Sept 30th.

I haven't talked to the folks at the park office to check availability yet.

I have volunteers showing up at the fairgrounds to help in the garden area clean up (that sucking sound you hear in the background is the reality check! since I've only had one volunteer ever show up) and the work days are supposed to be Saturdays. But the Fiesta Del Pueblo is going on the weekend of the 9th/10th and that blocks all access to the garden area- thereby freeing up that weekend as the perfect weekend to host the swap. Though it is far earlier than previous swaps.

watcha think???

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

Either way it's fine with me. I was just wondering when that swap would be. Meaning I want more plants and can't afford to buy them. :)
    John, I was planning on coming back to the fairgrounds but I was on vacation the last two weekends and today I was considering coming but I had a friend show up in town last night and we stayed up til, well, late so that 8:30 am thing wasn't really working for me...
    But I really do intend to be there next week. Maybe. Though it is getting hot out there and I am lazy. Hey, I never claimed to be reliable. And I may not be the one volunteer that you are referring to. I just filled pots with dirt for the garden club and didn't help you at all. -Ais.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Raleigh Fall Swap 2006

Q

Comments (9)
    I have another suggestion - remind everyone to mark the plants they bring with some sort of label, even a piece of tape would be fine, if possible. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it would help a lot. It might have been just me, but I ended up with some plants with no names. For instance, there was a table that had a plant name sign on it, but the individual plants were not marked, and I soon forgot what they were. I know it is not always possible, because people are digging and bringing extra plants at the last minute :-) just a thought...
    ...See More

WANTED: Fall 2014 Raleigh Plant Swap

Q

Comments (136)
    Sabji : do you have any fenugreek seeds? I have some variegated basil if you are interested Magick: Re you still looking for Stella d oro lily? Would like your white rebloom azalea. Or maybe you would like a variegated basil? Gail, I am jealous! Get something awesome! I will be joining everyone next year for that event. Camelialover: I have set aside purple balloon flower seeds, yellow iris, and Persian shield for your thalictrum, agapanthus, and spirea
    ...See More

Trade list / wish list/ giveaway list, for Raleigh fall swap 2015,

Q

Comments (265)
    Karen Hause, have you seen the flowers of this sedum? If so what color are they? We don't have a fully authoritative answer but have some strong leads regarding its identity. We'll write more about this, but the flower color would provide additional clarification. Incidentally, side-by-side comparison makes us more convinced that your blue sedum is S. hispanicum not 'Blue Spruce'. We'll write more about this, too.
    ...See More

Raleigh Fall Swap 2015

Q

Comments (12)
    He he, They ( My family) don't call me "Miracle woman" for nothing! I am really praying for everyone who wants to be part of the fun party, we call the raleigh swaps, to be able to show up. ok I am now doing the rain dance.. hope the rains happen ( rain bearing gentle "Erica" ). we need them till the end of summer. May it be later please..or let us have a decent fall season. !! No frosty temps till like or mid December. A well behaved southern winter but nothing too long like the last one, just enough chilling hours for the some of the plants that need it. eh? Did I miss anything?
    ...See More
  • Hollyclyff
    17 years ago

I think I rather like the earlier date myself, but either one is OK.
    Dana

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

No Ais, I was referring to Shannon (Dirtrx). I saw you helping with the mum pots. And truth be told I needed him to fill all those pots so that I could use up whatever soil was left over, so I'm glad you helped out over there. I believe that all the younger volunteers in that work zone were actually there to help me but didn't see me until it was too late.

There are tasks out there that will take mobs of people working really hard and getting really dirty and then there are basic jobs that take less effort. I don't mean to apply much pressure. The fair will have a flower show with or without my idea of 'neat and tidy'. I don't mind being out there most weekend mornings or dropping by on my way home from work - but I'm not gonna kill myself over it. What gets done, gets done. What doesn't, doesn't.

Now I guess I need to go start some cuttings for the swap! I wouldn't want Brenda to be disappointed.

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Don't be clipping on my account, John. I can't even imagine where I'm going to put another plant, but I'm sure I will. Shari and I have already arranged a "special" trade, so our 12-step programs are not going well. Your accordion oxalis is doing great, John. The deer have decided that Nance's solomons seal is candy, but it is bouncing back. Deb's yellow and red abultilion blooms look knock-out next to 'red roof' coleus. Ais's acanthus bloomed on and on. Shannon's datura, Deb's hardy begonia, Carla's rudbeckia, Dana's cannas, Tammy's campanulas - all blooming now. Aready enjoyed the heck out of flowers on Vicki's lilies, Ralph's poppies, Carole's lilies, Dana's veronica. Everyone who walks thru asks what Sally's lysimachia is - so unusual. Alicia's hawthorne is happily anchoring my new rain garden. I just love that so many of the plants in my garden were loved by other gardeners in their gardens - thanks to everyone again, and Viva le Swap!

• tamelask
    17 years ago

oooh- the earlier date works better for me, too. my mum's getting remarried in PA sept 23rd, so i was just hoping you wouldn't pick then. as you know TJ, i'm doing a plot at the fairgrounds, so a bit further away from that deadline works better for me. and, heck, maybe i'll get some stuff to use IN the plot. several of my spring swaps are in there now. thanks, deb. :) but even if it's the 30th, we'll probably go. i just may look a lot more frazzled.

you know, maybe it's a good thing to have it a little earlier to get stuff back in the ground to harden off better for winter.

like braedna, i've raeally enjoyed the shows of plants from all of you great folks, last swap & before. makes me smile to realise how much richer in plants and especially freinds my life has gotten since i discovered swapping & GW. so far i've stuck some fantin latour roses, and hope if my schedule ever allows to do some more kinds soon for fall swap. i'll root coleus & other stuff closer to the big date. and who knows what else. i keep looking around and thinking- fall swap material! now if i can only find the time... tam

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Either date works for me. If there are any salvias in particular I should do cuttings from, let me know so I can start. Otherwise it'll be totally random. Brenda, you're still on my list for 'El Cielo Blue', though, and I think I've still got 'Tula' and 'Hot Lips' left over that didn't make it into the spring swap pile.

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've got several cuttings of 'Love Child' already started. Karen, I'd love Cielo if it grew for you this year. The winter honeysuckle likes its new spot. I lost the Salvia sinaloensis I started last year, but I do have muelleri. Oh no, you've awakened the salvia cravings. I started cuttings of a neat new abelia 'Kaleidoscope', and Albury Purple hypericum. Ralph, my Impatiens zombensis finally bloomed - little purple orchid-shapes - how's yours doing? My seeds of Impatiens namchabarwensis never did germinate. Bummer. I have a talent for rotting seeds. Two months. So cuttings start now and divisions later?

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Brenda, I'll start you a cutting of El Cielo Blue. I just did a non-discriminating weeding session in the front bed and probably pulled up any self sown seedlings from last year. Some years they're thick in there but not this year, and I couldn't stand to pull the weeds one at a time to sort them out. I can probably replace your S. sinoalensis, too.

I just planted some Phlox 'David' I got at the spring swap. It was exactly what the spot needed and looks great with Black and Blue salvia and Zingiber 'Midnight'.

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Creech Road Elementary School Park, Garner

Saturday September 9th, 2006

11am - 2pm

At some point this week I will get around to posting all the details in the 'Exchange' subforum.

It has become such a tradition that it now takes me over thirty minutes to reserve the shelter and pay for it (involves two sepparate offices and buildings). This is because everyone wants to tell me all about their roses or pumpkins or houseplants - and you know what happens when I start yakking about gardening. Its amazing that I even made it to work on time.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Hmmm. I wondered what was going on since you fed the turtles your beautiful plants, guess you should be Turtle John instead of Triangle John! I wasn't sure of your schedule or if you were back for awhile. I can't be there this weekend but I can be there the following Saturday. I learned alot from just following you around. I hope anyone who is considering coming out will show up. I had a great time plus got some really cool plants!

I just checked my calendar and Sept. 9 is now marked for the plant swap! Can't wait, gotta sow some seeds. I just started drying them this week. Dirtrx/Shannon

• nancyofnc
    17 years ago

I'd like to suggest a change for the fall swap and see what you all think about it. I did not get to look at everything that was brought, nor did I get to greet all the old swappers I knew - BECAUSE I was so busy (thanks to daughter too) finding everyone for the special swaps and collecting the trades in return. With over 200 plants of general and special it took a long time to unload and reload and of course we had to eat a lot too to regain our strength.

I'd like to propose that we have a separate day and/or place for all the special trades. What do you all think about that? I'd like to hear your comments. I know some of you come from quite a distance so that might not work in all cases but we locals could do another day, don't you think?

Nancy the nancedar

• The Citrus Guy
    17 years ago

Nancy,
    I personally don't like the idea of two days. I will be coming up from Charleston SC again and don't think I can make two days. Plus think of it this way, Everybody is VERY tired from just one day of swapping...you would burn everybody out if you did two.
    This is just my opinion, I could be WAY off base.
    Another possibility is to set up for special trades earlier...say 10 O'clock and have everybody else come at 11.
    I enjoyed the Spring swap..learned alot that I applied to MY swap here in Charleston. I doubled my attendence from last year...we are now at 36 folks and 150+ plants.
    Anyway, just me two cents worth. I will watch for the special trades verdict and thread to post my wants and haves.
    Darren

• tamelask
    17 years ago

sorry, i don't like the idea of 2 days, either, much as i enjoy ya'll! i agree, though, that i felt rushed and didn't have time to visit because of so many preswaps. not that i want to give that up - i loved it! seems like there should be a way for us to have our cake & eat it too. after all, that's why we all go, right- to eat!? :)

do what catus said and have a time set up for prearrangeds- which is kinda what we'd said last time. but then, how about having stakes or flags with each person's name on them put in the ground along the sidewalk where we did most of that special swapping last time? then, we can just plop so- and so's stuff at their area, as many times as we need to for our prearrangeds, and when all's said and done, gather each of 'our' areas up -maybe after the general swapping. it shoudn't be too hard to have a list of names from the special swaps thread and make up some flags or stakes that can get reused again and again. i'd be willing to pitch in and do that, since i'm close and can normally get there reasonably early to get them in the ground. it may mean making a commitment to put the name of who you're trading with and who it's from on each plant or a box, but i think most of us do that anyhow. that way we'd know if we got all our swaps. doing it this way you aren't looking for someone who hasn't shown up yet- just leave their plants in 'their' area, and they can get them when they come. what happens if someone doesn't show at all? don't have an answer for that, but i don't think it happens too often. i think it would be a lot quicker and more efficient. which would mean more time to yak, eat and check out the general swap goodies.

if ya'll hate the idea, that's ok. just my 2 cents. looking forward to it already! tam

• nancyofnc
    17 years ago

Well, you all are right - it is a better way to go having signs for special swaps outside the area than another day which would be way too tiring. Since we don't have to "reserve" the sidewalk then that eliminates another problem (reserving the shelter). And, opening it up earlier is a great idea! I just missed being able to talk to everyone and these answers solve that problem. Thanks!

Nancy the nancedar

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

I'm not afraid of any of these possible solutions. Some of us run into each other outside of the swaps anyway so having our own mini-swap for special trades is not out of the question. And some folks just won't be able to get to the big swap early no matter what the incentive. So my suggestion is that folks try to get organized at least (where is that Special Trades thread??) and we'll see how it flies this go around.

I intend to place the stakes somewhere noticeable (sidewalk, lawn) and let each swapper take two sticky name tags. Write your name on each, stick one on your body and one on your stake. If someone can't make it then we can tell because there won't be a name tag with their name on it. If someone is picking up special trades for someone who can't make it, they should make a tag/stake for both themselves and the missing person so that people that don't know them can still find the right stake for their trades.

Happy Swapping!!

• tamelask
    17 years ago

we could just chalk the sidewalks! but we may run out of them, and i think the flags would be more visible. wonder where i could pick them up? ideas? i'm thinking those bright ones on skinny sticks like the underground cable guys use for right of way. they are easy to push into the ground.

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, speacial trade post is started on Enchange page. We are really a sick bunch of plant addicts, my dears.

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

We put the "whore" in Horticulture!!!

• yotedog
    17 years ago

Soo.oo.. help me out here--I'm new to Raleigh--are there any guidelines for the Raleigh swap? Do the swaps get worked out there, or in advance, here? Do all types and sizes get swapped or just reasonable sized plants? What about cuttings etc? So you just walk around and see something you want and try to work a deal??? Details, please! I wanna go! Thanks

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

In a nutshell - there is the 'General Swap' where the bulk of the plants are placed on picnic tables in a totally random order (we deliberately spread things out so that a little bit of everything is mixed around). I, acting as host, ding a bell and everyone grabs a plant and carries it over to their special stash spot on the lawn. Everyone gathers around the plants again and I ring the bell again. We do one plant per ding the first few go arounds and then we advance to two plants per ding. Eventually getting up to four plants per ding and then it becomes a free for all.

It may sound chaotic, but it gives everyone a chance at the best plants. We don't do any sort of tickets or record of who brought what, or who got here the earliest. We're very low on "rules". The core idea is to share your plants. We have everything from seeds to raw cuttings to large trees in pots show up. Most of the plants are single rooted cuttings in small plastic pots or cups, usually this years cuttings, usually small. But the event is wide open - anything can show up (and often does). There are always a few newbies in the crowd and there are people that show up with nothing. We do not discourage anyone from participation. The whole event is for gardeners to SHARE. If you have something you like to grow that you want to share with other gardeners - bring it.

Then there are the "Special Trades". This is mostly prearranged here on GardenWeb (over on the 'Exchange' subforum). This is where you only trade your special babies for other gardeners special babies. If there is something you are looking for, this is the time to ask if anyone is growing it and if they have divisions to share - and if you have anything they want in exchange. The Exchange subforum is set up for this sort of activity all the time, we just use the swap to get everyone together rather than dealing with postage or special road trips.

And if that isn't enough fun for you - there is also a pot luck picnic thrown in!!! So come hungry. The food list is usually posted over on the 'Conversations' subforum - but any of this can be mentioned on any of the forums so read everything.

If you still want more, during the winter we do a Seed Swap. And before you know it is time for the spring swap again.

Expect to see about 45 swappers. Many from outside the Raleigh area, some from other states. Every swap has at least a few rare plants - but these could anything from perennials to tropical houseplants.

Oh, and sometimes things like tools and books and goldfish and tadpoles have shown up also.

• yotedog
    17 years ago

Wow--that sounds like a GREAT time!! (What does this say about me psychologically, I wonder...hmm...). I'll start rooting and potting and getting my sprint in shape..So glad I saw the post. I'll spread the word in my neighborhood, if thats ok. Thanks!