SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaynees

Help! Husband mowed flower bed!

jaynees
16 years ago

Hey all! I'm SO HAPPY to see GardenWeb has a forum just for NC/SC people!

Yesterday (unbeknownst to me) my husband, in an effort to be helpful, ripped out and mowed over the flowerbed that the previous owners had made near our mailbox. Hosta, lilies, clematis vines, other annuals - all gone. He assumed it was all weeds.

Needless to say I'm devastated. I *think* I can save the clematis roots if I mulch and water it over the next few weeks. But the rest was pulled out and thrown away (I only saw what he did when I pulled out of the driveway this morning and found EVERYTHING GONE)!

So, now that I have a fresh new bed to work with *sigh*, any suggestions on what to plant? It's an area about 3ft x 3ft in size, FULL SUN for at least 8-10 hours a day, if not more. I do plan on planting some dinnerplate dahlias in the fall but other than that I'm open to anything. Would love a red/white/blue annuals combination that I could plant in the next week or so that will come to full bloom just in time for July 4th week. I'd also love fall-planting bulb recommendations for a red/white/blue summer display next year.

FYI - I'm not a knowledgable gardener - I had a small area that I catered to when we lived in NoNJ, but it was low- to no-maintenance stuff.

Comments (7)