SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lylesgardens

Reflections of my gardens

lylesgardens
15 years ago

It's been really hot, we all know. The other day it creeped up to 100. The thermostat in my backyard is in the sun and it was buried past the point of the highest reading (120). Ouch.

SO I looked over my plants, and began to think i made good choices about what I planted in the west and south facing areas. Very little wilt, some scattered shade from the crape myrtle. The coreiopsis, guara, roses, verbena and lilies all seem to be OK as well as the lantana.

The other smaller annuals are ok as well but they need a little bit more water. Since we cna only water on tuesdays and saturdays I have been giving them heavy amounts of watering scatered thruout the day. Not drowning them, but soaking them pretty good at least twice a day.

They all appear healthy and so far very few to no bugs.

I mulched my hostas and sedums and gave them a nice drink too, but I dont water those as frequently since I fear root decay. The mulch should keep them fine.

My daylilies have only now sent up stalks, each heavily numbered with flower heads still not bloomed yet. I can;t wait to see what color they are. They appear to be a lemon yellow or light orange so far. LONG stalks too some are taller than my waist. Seems like they took a long time to send stalks up. I remember when I lived in north central MA. the tiger lilies were HUGE like this and flowered all summer, with the flowers being very large. I hope these are similiar to those.

I have two beds in front of the house that get east sun till around noon. Most of the lilies are here, and they form a barrier between the bed and the grass. i wonder if they might be too tall for plants to be behind them, and I wondered if digging them up after they bloom and transplanting them to the back of the bed would be a good idea before winter. I figure that would give them enough time to root. Any ideas?

I have all sorts of little plants growing all around, someone close to me said they might called Jude plants. They have a small purple flower on some and I noticed most of the plants form a "Y" shape.

I also have several very tiny mimosa trees coming up ( At least the leaves look as such) and wondered if those could be dug up and transplanted as well what would be the best direction to plant them, south? I see them all over town in all directions, east west south and north facing.

My knockout rose has nearly doubled in size since I planted it 3 weeks ago. My other vining rose ( yellow) has new shoots on it, but there has been a lot of previous cutting and etc near the crown.

My clematis I planted about a month ago flowered, one single red and white striped flower ( Carnaby) and since then I think it is growing OK, tho one vine part of it has seemed to stop.

Simple reflections of my gardens. Lyle

Comments (16)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County