SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterclem

Protecting Clematises During Minor Construction

butterclem
17 years ago

Part of my coming to terms with living with a long garage wall in my garden is to construct really nice trellises (attached so they they are out 1 inch from the wall)for my clematises to grow up. Two clematises are in the ground and two are in pots (but mature; I picked them up at a big nursery closing sale). All are about 1 foot tall right now. There is a lot else going on in this garden rehab project, so I don't think the trellises will be complete for a month.

My question is: what to do with the clematises till then? Should I put a stake in the ground or pot, then use something (????) to spiral upwards so the clematis can grow on something? And if I do that, how do I transfer the vines to the trellises when they're finished? That sounds tricky! Maybe I should be trying to keep the vines straight so the transfer to the trellises is easier? Or maybe I should be pruning them regularly so they don't get more than about a foot tall till the trellises are ready? I guess I would survive if that meant they didn't flower this year.

If it matters, the clematises in question are Etoile Violette, Duchess of Albany, Betty Corning, and Perle d'Azur. I prune all of them hard (group 3), including Perle d'Azur.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Pat

Comments (2)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company