SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soulfire_gw

Good idea... or bad?

Soulfire
11 years ago

I live in NJ and unfortunately, there arenâÂÂt any true south facing windows at my house. As a result, I was thinking of constructing a mini-greenhouse for my front porch. I was curious if there were any of you who have attempted this yourselves and what things I needed to be aware of as it is specifically for my 2 dwarf citrus trees.

I was thinking of a simple wooden frame, then screwing on that heavy clear plastic you can buy at a Lowes or Home Depot. One side would slide up for me to water and remove the trees as necessary. For colder nights, I was thinking of putting jugs filled with steaming hot water from the sink and covering it with bubble wrap or a blanket. I was even thinking of insulating the floor of it to protect it from the cold concrete or actually lining the sides with bubble wrap (although IâÂÂm worried about the circulation and further limiting the amount of sun it would get by doing that). Obviously, the trees wouldnâÂÂt be outside in the really cold months, but would this make a difference in the fall and spring? If I could give them even 2 more months outside, I think it would be worth it. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? IâÂÂm not interested in spending hundreds or thousands of dollars or erecting large structures in my yard isnâÂÂt possible for me at this time. Is this just a foolhardy attempt that will accomplish nothing? Thanks guys!

Comments (4)