SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemontrees_gw

Please Help With Next Steps for Yellow-Leafed Lemon Tree

lemontrees
13 years ago

I've been a long-time reader of these forums, and want to thank you all (particularly here in the citrus forum) for all of the help you've offered. I'm hoping you can assist with my situation.

In August 2010, we purchased a 5-gallon improved Meyer lemon tree from a reputable local nursery. The leaves were a little yellow at the time, but it was otherwise healthy. I transplanted immediately into a well-dug hole, using half native soil and half basic gardening mix, with some Dr. Earth citrus tree fertilizer throw in (not too much). You should know that the soil here tends to be clay-like. When I dug the hole (probably about 18 inches deep), I filled it with water and it drained within 5 minutes, which I considered a good sign. (Previously on that same site, we had a crop of nasty juniper bushes there for about 35 years, with not fertlizer delivered at all.)

At the time, the tree was about two feet high and two feet wide at its widest points. Because I planted it in August, I didn't expect a ton of growth -- I just expected it to endure some transplant shock and then slowly begin to acclimate over the winter. Throughout the winter, I believe it got sufficient water from rain. I supplemented only occasionally.

Problem was, the yellowed leaves only got more yellow (none fell off). There was no uniform pattern -- some splotchy, both old and new growth affected, some veins green, some yellow. Even after all of my research here, I couldn't pinpoint "one specific problem."

I decided to wait. And I did, til about a month ago, when I fed with a light solution of Dr. Earth Bud and Bloom Booster (4-10-7), to support what I saw: numerous flower buds appearing! Yay us! At that same time, I watered with a mild Epsom salt solution (about 2 tsp. dissolved into one gallon).

It's still the same, but here's my plan and I want to know what you think, too. After reading here about it, we got our hot little hands on some FoliagePro. Since we don't expect any more temps near/at freezing, I think it's time to feed. My instincts tell me that the soil is okay, that the Epsom salts may have prepped the soil even better to absorb nutrients -- but that there are simply no nutrients (especially nitrogen) in the soil!

Should I use full strength, or diluted? Also, can I apply it both via watering AND topically to the leaves at the same time? If not, how should I apply it first? How often do you apply FP? I've heard to feed lemon trees 1x/month during growth season. Does that apply to FP?

Any reactions or advice you have would be welcomed greatly. You can see pictures of the tree at the link below.

Thank you in advance, and also again for all of your previous guidance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lemontrees2011/

Comments (3)