SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

Blue bird nest on rain barrel

aezarien
14 years ago

My husbands father built us a bird house and I had it sitting on my rain barrels by my front porch until I could figure out where I want it. Well, I spotted eggs in it over the past few weeks and now there are babies.

My concerns are #1 every time we come around from the back or come in or out the front door the mama flies out of the nest. I don't mind that she does that but I do worry that we are worrying her to death. #2 the environment.. when it rains, the house it sitting under a gutter that spills over sometimes and the top on the house isn't solid and underneath the water puddles up in the rim of the barrel. The bottom isn't so much a concern because I'm pretty sure it doesn't get deep enough to get into the house. Anyway, when it is sunny, it is hot as sin up there and the rain barrels produce a lot of humidity. Is this nest going to be okay there? Should I leave it there no matter what happens or should I try to slowly move it until it is in a shadier spot? I have about two feet of concrete behind the rain barrels that stays dry and is shady/more private but it would have to go on the ground for those conditions to remain. I would think the mama could find the bird house by listening for the babies but they are not making any noise yet. The only way I know they are in there is that there little mouths pop up every now and then lol.

Anyway.. any information would be greatly appreciated. Just don't know too much about birds except you are not supposed to touch them.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH