SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nckvilledudes

Fine Gardening Article on Clematis by Edith Malek

nckvilledudes
16 years ago

Just thought I would let everyone know that Tauton's Fine Gardening Magazine has an article on clematis in a special issue entitled Great Plants. It says Volume 2 2008 right above the price and barcode on the lower left hand corner. Edith Malek, the president of the American Clematis Society, authored the article.

On the last page of the article she debunks 3 common myths about clematis that I have been stressing here time and time again. Go Edith! Get the word out! The three myths include 1)plant their head in the sun and feet in the shade, 2) they can't take the heat, and 3) they are lime lovers! On a side bar, she also gets the word out how clematis "do not require heavy amounts of fertilizer or water, but they do require a steady supply of both during the growing season." Go Edith, Go Edith!! :0)

I am sure that the clematis featured in the article and their attributes that are extolled are based on Edith's experience with the clematis so not everyone may have the same experience with the clematis she talks about. Case in point--Rooguchi-mine is a mildew magnet that I have to treat to prevent mildew from occurring on every year and it is a semiclinger in my garden and Edith states it does not attach itself by its leaf stalks. (She and I had an email conversation about this after an issue of the ACS newsletter came out). She also talks about how Pagoda is mildew resistant and mine arrived from Chalk Hill with mildew and has mildew every year unless I treat it like I do Rooguchi. Edith also states that her Betty Corning doesn't have a fragrance and that it might be due to the hotter zone she lives in. If I could capture the scent of my Betty Corning blooms I would bottle it up and send it on to her! I can't imagine a Betty Corning without a scent. So if you live in a warmer zone like Edith does, this may explain why your BC does not have a fragrance.

All goes to show that one's own experience with any clematis is going to be dependent on many factors including your growing conditions (high temps, low temps, humidity, altitude), cultural practices, age of clematis, source of clematis, and probably so many other factors that it would be impossible to elucidate and list them all.

Overall a great article on clematis and my hats off to you Edith!!!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting