SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

No inspiration to garden... has this happened to you?

jenn
16 years ago

For 10 or so years I was an avid gardener all year round. I designed and planted our front and back yards, and now designing our side yard. I enjoyed every minute of it.

However my mistake was that I did it to the exclusion of almost everything else. I believed I had to get it all planted/done "today", or I couldn't afford to spend time with someone else because I "had to get the gardening done today".... after all, I work all week and who knows what might come up next weekend.

This fall I have done ZERO gardening. The yards are planted for the most part but some things could be moved or replaced. We're expecting major company later this year and I really want to get it in shape, but I am not motivated. I haven't hung out in this forum much for the past few years, other than to lurk now and then.

I have many hobbies -- probably too many -- and now gardening has just become one of them. Every time I think of doing some gardening, all I can think of is that it will take the whole day and nothing else will get done. I have thought of just setting a specific time to quit, say by noon, and then that's it, no more for the day.... but still, I'm not motivated. Maybe I can set a few goals, the most important ones, and do just them.... keep the "to do" list small and manageable.

This is a classic sign of burn-out when you lose interest in something you once loved, after doing it with so much intensity as often as I did.

Is this familiar to anyone? How did you snap out of it? Is this something that will pass -- like the sadness after the loss of a loved one that just lifts one day -- or do I need to go out there and "just do it"??

Jen

Comments (24)