SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenconfidential2

Has this happened to you? I don't care for my kitchen

Well, my kitchen is just about finished, and I have to say it was a very difficult process. I've remodeled a kitchen in the past and everything seemed to go so smoothly, and I loved that kitchen - all from Home Depot.

I did so much homework on this kitchen, tried to find the exact right faucet, marble, granite, and now that it is all done, I just do not like the look. It is blah. The cream cabinets I thought I bought look a grayish white. The island just does not fit with the look. The backsplash is beautiful but it does not work with the countertops. It seems I bought nice things but I feel like I am pulling teeth to get them to work together. I wish I had found the right person to work with from the beginning and just let them design the kitchen. I am feeling so very down about this whole process. Months of planning and work, and now I just don't like the look.

Comments (92)

• km5tq
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! I think your kitchen is so pretty. It looks like you have used some cool neutral colors that would be easy to accessories. A positive feature about the neutral colors, it will make it really sellable.

The things you accessorize with will make a world of difference. I love the countertop. Please tell us what it is.

I'm also in planning stages for our kitchen makeover. I wanted Blue Pearl, but finding it way out of our budget range..story of my life. I seem to have steak taste on a bologna budget.

So now, I'm thinking of going with a more neutral look. Due to our age, we may need to sell at some point. I think the beige/taupe colors will look good. In fact, by the time I'm finished, my kitchen may look like yours. If so, I think I will have done a good job..thanks to all you.

Decorating can really be stressfull. Let me tell you a little about my earlier experience with decorating. When my husband and I had our home built back in the late 70s, the popular colors were gold,olive green and brown. I didn't like olive green or brown, so I decided to go with gold....gold carpet,gold fridge,gold dw,gold drapes,gold toilet,gold tub,gold shower,gold walls for bedroom and a gold bedspread...do you get the picture...lol

I remember a painter saying "You really like gold, don't you"...lol

Before we moved in, I was terrified. I saw all the gold and I panicked. I had no idea how I could decorate around all of that gold!

But, by the time I finished decorating with beautiful accent colors, it was really beautiful. We received so many compliments on our house.

My point is to take a deep breath,calm down and then start thinking about the accessories. You will love it! You have to because it is so pretty now.

As for the wood floor being a warm color, how about trying a warm color like orange red instead a cool color like true red for accent on you countertop or island...just a thought.

I bet you get a lot of help with the accessorizing.

Good luck, and cheer up. You have lot's of friends on here to support you.

You can always take a little pink pill for pale people...lol

• John Liu
    14 years ago

From the pictures, my reaction is that, other than the floor, your kitchen is cool, smooth, neutral, and somewhat monochromatic - grays, whites, steel, black. So it feels unemotional, to me.

But that is just its current, blank-canvas state. When you start to accessorize it with color and texture, I think your kitchen will come alive with energy and spirit. Make your mixer a fire engine red KA, make your hand towels bright yellow and blue French Provencal patterns, a spray of irises and lilies in a tall glass vase with gold marbles.

It won't take but a few splashes of your personality to bring the room to life.

Its sort of like, you're getting dressed to go out, you have your hair up but haven't put on makeup or jewelry yet. When that lipstick and those pearls are on, the restrained cool elements, that are all you see in the kitchen today, will be there as great skin and cheekbones.

• Related Discussions

What happens if I don't tape my poly panel ends??

Q

Comments (18)
    The manufacturer of the polycarbonate sheet recommends using a foil tape at the top of the sheet and a mesh tape at the bottom. The mesh tape is manufactured by 3M and is available at Farmtek, International Greenhouse, and some other suppliers. I believe it is the same product as the mesh tape that 3M sells for use in hospitals for wound dressing but it might be more expensive buying it in that form if you need a lot. I used this method on my gh and its still working fine after two years. In a pinch, you can use aluminum tape on the bottom, but you then need to puncture it with a pin, a couple of small holes per channel. Its better to do it the recommended way, I think.
    ...See More

I'll bet you think I want help with my layout, don't you...

Q

Comments (27)
    Lav: It's just that fridge and big sink on that wall seem to eat up all the countertop. Plus, the fridge needs like, 4" minimum clearance against a fixed wall... I wish that wall were a little longer cause I'd love to have the fridge to the left of the sink like that. I always seem to want to prep to the left of the sink. I don't know if I can change that habit, can I? I get having a prep sink closer to the stove, but this copper sink is made for prep with the cutting board that sits on the ledge and the drain tray. Not to mention that after what that thing cost, DH will probably throw up if I mention getting another sink, lol. Bellsmom: I was told that having the whole wall open is a problem with structural stuff. That's why DH wants a rustic railing with upright beams in part of the opening. I can't tell exactly but the island makes the walk around about 30"... seems too close to the step down for safety? Rosie: Your words are food for thought. I am definitely a sink/window prepper. I tend to live in front of the sink for some reason. Don't really see myself doing too much between the fridge and stove (in the original layout) And, as I said above, I tend to want to work to the left of the sink. Angie's idea is very appealing though. I like the smaller area to cook in and less walking around. I like the fridge out of the main area, so anyone can get something without, 'excuse me'. The one thing DH does is make adult beverages (killer old fashioneds for those familiar with Wisconsinites) and we're always in each others way when that happens. I thought a bar sink over by the window could double as a kind of prep sink and I'd have mondo storage over there, too. But, it does close up the room somewhat, at least for traffic, but maybe not in a bad way. Idaho: thanks for the info and I was kinda thinking that empty corner could be a safe cubby or something like that. Keep our Cracken in there, lol. Marcolo: are you saying to leave the fridge as it is in Angies plan? I'll have to play around with that configuration, too. Thank you...
    ...See More

My kitchen 2 Years later. What I still love & what I don't

Q

Comments (38)
    Hi all! Thanks for the great compliments on my kitchen! A kitchen remodel is like a wedding; once it's over you kind of miss the planning and prepping and anticipation; so this is a nice refresh for me! To hopefully answer all your quesitons above: Cori: My granite is WHite Ice. I Love it. It reminds me of cookies and cream ice cream. A creamy white with flecks of charcoal and micah. Ranton: The paintcolor is BM Serenety. It's a very calming (like its namesake) grey/blue. Missy Moo: The flatware is Crate & Barrel Tuscany. I LOVE it. Nice substantial weight and looks shiny and new out of the dishwasher every time! And my little kitchen helpers are Matthew, my 5-year old (one of my 3 kiddos) and Bruin, our rescue pup. Hazel: My sink is Franke stainless, extra wide. (don't recall the exact measurements). Very durable. Wonderful customer service with Franke. Love all the questions. Best form of flattery!
    ...See More

Help!! I don't know what happened to my cactus and Jade!

Q

Comments (5)
    I agree. The soil has likely broken down and compacted around the roots. The plant is not getting any water because the roots have died. When you repot, use at least 50/50 mix with perlite or grit with fresh soil, preferably a cactus and succulent soil. The soil around the jade looks like it is pulling away from the side. If that is the case it may have gotten too hard and will no longer absorb water. This happens with peat based soils. Try to remove all of it from the roots.
    ...See More
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

It's a charming kitchen, kitchenconfidential. I agree with the others that once you get your accessories in and start using it, you'll get to love it.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and I really like the way the darker tiles work with the colors in your countertop!

I love your appliances and wish you had more pictures of the seating on the other side of the counter...is that a dining area?

The island is a great choice...the dark wood is the perfect compliment to the medium wood floors and light cabinets. Nice job...can I call you when I'm ready to redo mine :)

• julie94062
    14 years ago

I think you'll love it after a few weeks of recuperation and sleep :-) I felt the same way. Things weren't quite what I'd planned. It's just utter exhaustion, dear girl! But really, after you're used to seeing it as a whole and not focusing on individual things, you'll realize it works (actually...more than *works*...it's fabulous!)

You've done a wonderful job with a lot of thought, and it shows! Live with it for a couple of weeks (months? I'm going on 4) and add things gradually. Don't try to do it all at once. Take your time. I know you want it all done now (me, too), but give yourself permission to take a break. Really, it will all come together!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I agree with the others, it's burnout / let down after all the stress etc putting it all together. it is bland at the moment but when you add some color in it'll spark up.

you could treat yourself to new colorful pots. a survival prize! a vase, towels etc as have been mentioned will all add the life to it.

I think the idea of a great hanging light over the island is a good one. if it isn't wired for a light you could hang something else beautiful and colorful. my BIL bought my sister a gorgeous windchime thingy for Christmas. it's got several shades of green stones in it (all over) and is I think a cross - but you can find great things to hang from the ceiling in many different shapes and colors. an art sculpture! it can reflect light around it.

when you add things like that in it'll change and warm up.

also - go look at a pic of your old kitchen. that should cheer you up - lol!

• penelopejosephine
    14 years ago

I think your kitchen looks lovely! I have to say the backsplash is my favorite part :) When I saw the photos, all I could think was "now those are the colors I envisioned for mine" (grass is always greener?).

If you want to add a pop of color, a beautiful colored tea kettle or a a window valance would be ways to insert character with clutter. The best part, they're easy to change out if you decide you want a change.

Hang in there!

I understand that anxiety. I've been holding my breath the past few days in my own kitchen. I think all the planning and obsessing has taken its toll.

• Sharon kilber
    14 years ago

I, think waiting for your kitchen, to get done is kind of like christmas, you built it for month's than when it's done you, feel down. Because you, worked so hard. Maybe a roman shade, would look nice in your window. Maybe a light in your, cabinet, with the glass door. With some pretty dishes, showing. Just some ideal's. On some of the home show's I, watch. I, think what's so good about that redo. Than they bring in some plant's, and thing's and it suddenly come's to life and look's so pretty. Your's will to. sharaz

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all once again. I do feel there's some truth to the PTSD, fatigue, sticker shock, etc. I am burned out.

My favorite designer is Cote de Texas: http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2009/01/kitchens-101-elements-to-copy.html

As you can see, I am far from achieving any of those warm and live-life looks. I particularly like her kitchen: http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2009/01/updated-kitchen.html

To answer some questions:
    The countertop is Costa Esmeralda a/k/a Costa Smeralda. It has more green than appears in the pictures.
    I do have undercabinet lighting.
    I will get those warmer bulbs - hopefully that will help.
    I need window treatment. Any suggestions or pictures, would very much be appreciated because I feel clueless.
    I haven't gotten the stools yet.
    I haven't picked out the paint.
    I haven't picked out the lighting fixture over the island but am afraid of making a mistake. Right now there is a cut out for two pendants. I don't know if I should have only one light here.

Here is another picture of the far wall which looks into my small breakfast room, which I am thinking of painting Hathaway Peach - but at this point I think I need to reconsider all my colors.

Your support has been comforting and reassuring. Thank you all very, very much.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1676144}}

• ajard
    14 years ago

Good Morning... some thoughts.. you really picked out such beautiful things. You can tell how much you put into it.. it looks beautiful. Love the counters and backsplash

I am so worried about pulling together all my decisions and making it work together to achieve the look I want, so I totally understand...

My first thoughts when I looked at your photos is possibly if the hardware was bolder I feel like it will be warmer and pull together more. LIke cup pulls on the drawers and bigger handles or knobs. Your island has a THICK top so it is bold and chunky.. I felt chunky hardware in my eyes will pull it together.. but it is a small photo so it is hard to tell. Not sure if you are in love with your hardware and if it is even modifiable.. but that is how my eye perceived it from a distance on the computer...but for sure it is beautiful and everything to be proud of...

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I do think live oak is right that "warmth" of the floor, at least in the pics, overwhelms the cool whites and grays. Try putting down a few scatter rugs to see it tones down things.

I could see a soft yellow or peach...

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Looking at your pictures, I see a beautiful kitchen. The bones are strong but to me the color is bland. Don't take that personally, if you know my kitchen you will know I love PUNCH.

That said I would look for ways to add some interest. Colored glass, a bright red utensil crock, flowers, plants.

Like I said before, you've got great stuff to work with, now you just need to add some pop.

It doesn't have to be clutter.

You can trick the eye to look at one thing and miss another.

• budge1
    14 years ago

Another one to say that it doesn't take much to take an ordinary kitchen to fantastic. I admit I hated my kitchen too. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong. I looked at pics of kitchens I loved and tried to see what was wrong. I changed the hardware on my drawers to bin pulls and suddenly I loved my kitchen. I'm not kidding - it totally changed the overall feeling. Adding roman blinds also made a huge difference.

I think everyone has mentioned these things, but some easy changes would be hardware, blinds or some spectacular pendants. Imagine a roman shade on that window in a great print. I'm thinking mostly grey and white with a bit of colour thrown in to bring the warmth of the floor up. Maybe even a roman bamboo shade. Something sparkly hanging over your island. These things are the jewellery of the room. It is going to be WOW.

The last pic you posted with the glass door and little counter took my breath away. That is a special little corner. What about doing glass doors on either side of the OTR to match? However, I wouldn't start thinking about doing something major like that until youre totally finished (lights, blinds, etc.) I think you'll be happy with it.

• festusbodine
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is understated, sophisticated, and smartly planned. I must say that as our kitchen is in the midst of install, I constantly second-guess my decisions and choices. The reality is that there is NO perfect kitchen. Only the kitchen we chose. So choose to love it. It's not about the kitchen for sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of our kitchen in the midst of install

• positano
    14 years ago

Well I happen to love your kitchen, I should because mine is very similar. I have Costa Esmeralda, cream cabs, hardwood floors. What I love about our choices is that we can go in any color direction. I change things out with the season or holidays. If you've seen pictures of my kitchen I always have fresh flowers on every major countertop! For Valentines I had everything red, Halloween I switch out to my oranges, Easter my pastel things and I always have my collection of Robins egg blue pottery. That color looks fantastic with it.

Everyone has great suggestions! Go to the super market and buy some flowers in your favorite colors. Put out a big bowl of lemons or oranges. You'll love it.

You have picked out timeless elements and given yourself some flexibility to use different colors thru the seasons.

Love your backsplash by the way.

Feel better!!

• budge1
    14 years ago

Just read over my comment and realized it makes it sound like I think your kitchen is ordinary. I think your kitchen is spectacular and would take it any day. Love it - just want to clarify :-)

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Kitchenconfidentail2,

I love the idea of going through your closet (Smiling)
    and looking for colors that you love and don't even
    know you love.

And I also agree with the idea of pulling some warm colors
    to bring the wood floor to it's glory.

Here are some ideas that pop into my mind when I look
    at your kitchen. But keep in mind that these are thing
    I would do and would not be the least insulted if you
    found them to be UGLY. Remember my taste comes out
    of my ear sometimes. : )

1) paint the back wall of the glass cabinet
    a favorite color. So when you look at the wine glasses
    you see a punch of color. And if you are afraid to paint
    the cabs you can try to put shees of paper against the wall
    to see if you like the idea and then tape them down.
    Good paper is the scap booking kind you can find at
    Target, Walmart or Joann's fabric

2) find some fun art you love. I love wine posters.

I can't help it I am a boxer fan.

I love this one gives me a feeling of romance

vina-cousino-magul

jerez-llisas-vinos-jerez

The simple wine label

I love green with your floors and other elements. Again.
    I am a green addict.

Plants always add an earthly peice

Some wood that matches the floor but now up on the counter.
    helps pull that warm into the cool. Lovely.

window coverings

Okay maybe not this color but a fabric shade
    with your favorite print. There are some inexpensive
    patterns from JoAnn fabrics.

Palladian Blue Ben Moore

See how great the wood looks with this color
    This color is called Woodlawn Blue by Ben Moore

or maybe soft celery

or maybe beach glass. This beautiful punch of
    color will excite the room

Okay this color is a bit shocking but this color
    would is an extreme difference to the cool colors.
    So if you feel the cool colors are not going well
    no one would notice the eye would be drawn to the
    brightness of this Sangria BM color and the cool
    colors would remain strong. I know if you dislike
    red this one is out. ( I did say I won't be the
    least bit insulted if every idea I suggest is tossed out,
    I just want you to know you are not alone and ideas
    only generate new ideas and one of them is bound to be
    helpful to you.) Hugs!

Rhubarb BM

or maybe a Soft Marigold BM

Repaint the dog food bowls in a safe paint or just
    the outside of the bowls.

Add a favorite vase. Walk around your house or closets
    and find things you have stuffed away. Find a small
    tube of paint. Repaint them a bright fun color
    and use this as an accent for your counters or cabinets.

a fun mirror even a tiny one can add interest

Okay, Okay, I am driving you and everyone nuts with this
    shopping for ideas.
    Enjoy or chuck them.
    Just know you will fall in love with your space again.
    ~boxer

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

Try putting down some brown rugs to cover most of the floor and see if that helps your perception. Or, try putting some orangish accessories about the kitchen to bring the floor color into the rest of the kitchen.

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What a great place. Thank you for the support.

Boxerpups, I'm smiling and know why everyone adores you. Those are some great suggestions. I like the idea of painting the back of the cabinet. Love the poster, and I do have a mirror I was planning on using on the other wall.

I still have to purchase stools and window treatments and paint.
    I currently have fittings for 2 pendant lights but think I should have one light instead. I need help on that, so any suggestions, please let me know - I admit I am clueless when it comes to pulling it together.

live... The picture makes the floor look more orange toned than it actually is. The floor is a white oak with natural clear stain, nevertheless, I do agree with you and others that there is a contrast there between the floors and the cool colors and didn't notice that before. I have to work on pulling the two together somehow.

Loves2cook, I agree it is bland, bland, bland and I am not at I want to thank you and everyone else who has responded because I feel better about the kitchen - although I still wish I had picked another backsplash and had creamier cabinets. I need to try those reveal bulbs and see if that works.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way. It sounds like a lot of people feel this burnout. Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful! So serene and elegant. I think that folks are right about just needing some color. I think adding a beautiful kitchen pendant will be really helpful. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the CX Design stuff (though that's a bit spendy...but something in that style).

• prill
    14 years ago

I agree with everyone here... of course! I wasn't happy with my kitchen, it just didn't convey the vibe I was going for. Then I saw a chandelier I really loved. As soon as it went up, the kitchen started to turn the corner. As you say, you haven't painted, or gotten stools, etc.

Make sure you decide what your vision is before you add the accessories and colors. If I had found this forum before I started my kitchen, I'm sure it would be very different. The advise from this forum is amazing. If you haven't taken the Sweeby test, take it now and see what you can use from it at this point to reach your final goal.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

KC2.

I knew that this fabulous group of peeps would pull thru. And look, it was Johnliu who brought up the lipstick and pearls (how's the vanagon repair going, John?).

I think your kitchen has a great start. I know I'm going to be clipping some of the ideas given to you. I can't wait to see the updates.

Loved looking thru the pictures, Boxerpups!

• autumngal
    14 years ago

There is some really great advice above, I just wanted to pipe in with kudos for your kitchen. What others have said about adding some personal touches is a really great idea. You have put together an amazing kitchen, now you just need to add a few things to really make you feel like it shows who you are. I love it as is, but if you do add a few things, please keep us updated, I would love to see even more of your kitchen!

• lala girl
    14 years ago

I totally love your kitchen - it is classic, fresh and timeless IMO. Another way to think about the "blah" you mentioned is that it is flexible - if you had chosen a really bold palette you might be in a little tighter spot (I think it is easier to add pop than subtract boldness). At this point you could incorporate a pretty jadeite green accent color (or red or really any fun color) -- all without major expense or commitment.

My thought is that kitchen might enjoy some texture and some sparkle. Texture could be done with window treatments and sparkle with the pendents. I love the idea of painting the back of the cabinet (folks on here are geniuses!) Good luck, I think you will enjoy your lovely kitchen more with each passing day.

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

I'm also sorry that you're feeling this way. Your kitchen is beautiful! Peaceful and elegant.
    I think you should give it 2 weeks. Preping and cooking with friends and family will show you all your hard work planning was successful.
    Then the first thing I would try is some different light bulbs. If you can go to a light store, they will give you some ideas for your space. Lighting is so important to the overall look/feel of a room.
    Again it is a fantastic remodel!

• midwifekim
    14 years ago

Here's another vote for a kitchen well done! I am sorry you are disappointed and doubting your own design sense. I say TRUST yourself. You really have done a great job and likely have overthought it so much you can't see the forest for the trees. The backsplash is subtle and elegant- and works perfectly with the counters (which is very hard to achieve). The island is a nice contrast- that goes with the rest. I'm TKO, picky, and the girl who can find the designer clothing just by running my hand over the racks, you know? I'm being honest when I say you've done well!

Looking at the inspiration kitchen you presented (cote de texas?), it seems you are drawn to a darker kitchen... and blues/ teals?... but went light. I know the internal struggle of opposites! Perhaps you can bring in a few deeper elements in the window treatments, fabrics, and even the lighting? That will help ground the space and tie in the island even more.

Take a breath, have a party like suggested, live in it, then trust yourself again. I have no doubt that you will do well!

• profrip
    14 years ago

So sorry you are feeling bad. Others have made lots of really good suggestions. Based on my own experiece of painting in a previous kitchen is that light and paint mean everything. I had tasted paint colors (feverish experiments in light yellow) Looked great but.... By the time I installed new pendant (an antique not repro that was perfect)I found that although the yellow was still OK, I needed to change the white on the ceiling and trim to get the right look. Since you are planning on installing pendant(s) I would recommend installing before choosing any paint color changes --even accents. It is possible that you will find that your cabinet cream color will look quite different with different light. If it is looking gray I suspect that your light is whiter than the light in which you picked out the color--a warmer color incandescent may bring back the warmth. One approach to picking pendant(s) would be to get one in which there are alternative shades and get a few different shades to test too see what the impact is. Hugely underrated in my opinion are pendants that provide both up and down light. You may not need only light on the island but the room may benefit from reflected light off the ceiling. Then by painting the ceiling any of various shades you will influence the color throughout the room.

Are your under cabinet lights Xenon or fluorescent? Does turning them off or on--especially at night make you feel different about colors?

By choosing a more intense paint color like the brown suggested by boxerpups your cabinets are likely to feel warmer. Lights and colors reflect on all.
    Good luck.

It's a great kitchen even if you don't do anything!

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry you're disappointed - this kitchen thing is so hard to get exactly right. What I see is a great kitchen though. All your choices are lovely and they actually do work together - they certainly don't compete for attention. It's all very understated and that's a good thing. Now it's up to you to give it your personality and make it your room. I think adding window treatments in a fabric you love combined with a paint color that warms your heart will do wonders for your mood.

This is so not very "green" but keep those under cabinet lights on all the time. If I didn't have them on always (when I'm home), I'd be sad if I walked into the kitchen. For me, it's almost the single most important improvement I made. Maybe that's crazy, but the lights make a huge difference. Having that lighting shows off my granite and adds ambient lighting and just makes me happy when I walk in the room and cook.

Add some texture? How about a seagrass runner in front of your sink? Or for punch, find a reasonable rich-looking persian runner (lots on eBay) with lots of reds (if you like that kind of look). Maybe a lovely or funky [stainless] bowl of lemons on that gorgeous marble island? Hang some colorful funky or antique plates or trays on the wall. The colors and poster ideas that Boxer Pups posted are a great start, if that's your kind of style. What are things that you love to look at? For me, it's vintage posters and antique plates - so that's what I put in my kitchen as accents. If you accessorize your kitchen with things you love, perhaps that will also help you like your kitchen more everyday. Good luck!

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    14 years ago

I haven't remodeled a kitchen, but I think it looks just fine.

If I were walking into it as a house for sale, I would just think it was great surfaces and neutral colors that I would be happy building on instead of thinking, oh I've got to pull down that loud wallpaper, or I can't live with that weird granite, or whatever. If you look at even many finished kitchens that are empty, they also look very neutral and maybe even not that exciting until you add real items--fruit, flowers, bowls--signs of life!

Rest up before you do anything, I'd say.

I think it is calm enough that you could add any colors you like, but what I think would do the most "pulling together" is to bring some wood tones or colors, that are very similar to the flooring, up to counter or eye level. Note I said tones or colors-- because it wouldn't actually have to BE wood, but if you can experiment, I'd see if you could actually include some wooden materials. Do you have some wooden bowls, cutting boards, crock of wooden spoons, or decor objects? Or--I can't tell what wall space you have--picture frames are another option. Try bringing some things like that in just on a trial basis and see. I think--don't know but think--that repeating the wood tones will look very coordinated. Some principle of repetition.

For me, I would use vintage wooden objects because I happen to like those things and I think your materials are classic enough for anything. In fact you couldn't use those with a busy granite because it would overpower them. But if you like a more modern look and are trying to get a more new or clean look, then go for more modern wooden objects with new finishes, and that would look just swell.

Then think and experiment (again, good suggestions about trying some spray paint or borrowing clothing or towels, just to get color choices) to find one other color that you like with the gray/white/wood colors--could be red, apple green, whatever--for your towels and so on. And since the wood floor can be interpreted as gold/brown/reddish in terms of color, you may also find some linens that have a stripe or something that combine colors.

I think that will be fantastic when you've added personal and working items.

• dmwbcc
    14 years ago

I didn't read all the responses, but I do agree with the few I did read! It's beautiful! I think some "wood" elements would be awesome. Do you like the wood/woven blinds? You can get them very affordable and I think that (in your island or floor color) would look awesome with your choices. What about some wood utensil holders or large bowls to put "orbs" or something decorative in on your island?

Honestly, I think that all of your effort really paid off, however I can imagine how exhausting it might have been and maybe that's affecting your view.

So, regardless of how you feel- CONGRATS on your beautiful kitchen!

• rj56
    14 years ago

First of all, your kitchen is beautiful. My experience with major home improvements has been many times the same as yours. I think sometimes our expectations are unrealistic. Also, as many responders said, give yourself some time to live in the kitchen and you will figure out just what it needs. I am just doing a facelift of sorts for my kitchen. When I saw a friend's kitchen who has metal cabinets covered with contact paper, my kitchen didn't seem so bad after all. So, maybe put your kitchen in perspective, it is a lot nicer than my kitchen and surely it's an improvement over what you had before. Even more important than the look is the function--does everything work--is it efficient? I think that's even more important than the look. Enjoy your kitchen, you've worked hard and done a great job decorating it.

• momfromthenorth
    14 years ago

RED

Wow! Your kitchen is beautiful! It just needs some punches of red.
    Red dish towels
    a red clock
    a vase with some red tulips on the island

etc, etc. :)

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Because of all of you, I am now able to look at my kitchen in a new light. I now see it as a neutral canvas that needs the right accent pieces and colors. After I incorporate many of your wonderful suggestions I will transform this kitchen into something I truly will enjoy. I cannot tell you how much all of you have helped turn my lemon into lemonade. Thank you.

(((((((hugs))))))))

• smokinbarn
    14 years ago

This may be a little late, but I think the photos look great. I'm still finishing up a major house redo, including a new kitchen, and I seriously considered killing myself because the kitchen sink is the wrong color--discovered after it was installed. I had invested so much of myself for a full year into this job and to have such a visible mistake in such a major spot made me feel terrible. Well, the sink is still the wrong color but now there is so much stuff all around it and in it that most people may not even notice. I hope you come to love your new kitchen and appreciate how fortunate we are to be worrying over such things. I'm trying to keep that outlook over all the things I've gotten wrong here.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Kitchenconfidential:
    How are you feeling about your kitchen now that you've been in a bit? Any new fun decorating items you have added?

I know how you feel...my master bathroom is not going the way I envisioned.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Kitchenconfidential:
    How are you feeling about your kitchen now that you've been in a bit? Any new fun decorating items you have added?

I know how you feel...my master bathroom is not going the way I envisioned.

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

kitchenconfidental - i was wondering the same... how are you feeling about yor kitchen? I love it, I think its so pretty. I like simplicity. What is the name of your backsplash? I think it looks great.

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

Kitchenconfidential, I have wondered the same thing: how's it going?
    I must say, when I see your kitchen I'm startled by how much it resembles mine....same range, OTR MW, sink and DW in same place, white cabinets. And I love my kitchen. So, you can be my "kitchen sista," okay?

Spring is here! I hope it lifts your spirits. Take a look at my kitchen on the FKB. Mine isn't as large as yours, but you can know there's a gal in Oregon who is walking around the island in about the same pattern you are!

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello everyone. Okay, so I took a breather from the gardenweb and my TKO. I installed a lighting fixture that I love and painted the walls BM Atmospheric. I have a painting on one wall that picks up on the Atmospheric (just a touch) and has red in it. My fixture pulls in the other rooms with its style. I painted the adjoining "breakfast room" which is really my tiny dining room, BM Safari.

I'm loving my kitchen now. I am still waiting to redo the island but just taking a breather helped me put things in perspective. What I like about it is the serenity with a pop of color. I like the idea that the "bones" of my kitchen are very neutral and, should I choose to sell, I would just paint the walls a neutral color. I leave the uncercabinet lights on most of the time and love the way my lighting fixture pulls the kitchen together.

I will post pictures, probably tomorrow.

Thank you, Everyone

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Yay! I am so glad to hear you are loving your kitchen now. Can't wait to see the pics!

• gglks
    14 years ago

kc....i haven't been on this site for awhile but i remember your name when you were choosing ce.....our kitchens are very similar. when we just finished our kitchen, i didn't want to fill it up with a bunch of "stuff". i kept it very uncluttered and recently, felt just like you did! i think our colors are sooooooo muted that it can tend to look "boring". call it spring fever, but i just added a bunch of color to the kitchen and i'm loving it.....here's a "before" and "after" pic for you for some color inspiration!!! also check out positano's kitchen....very similar to ours and i like her colors too. the great thing about your kitchen is that you can really use ANY colors to brighten it up!

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some updated Pics of my kitchen. Still need to replace stools and build some kind of french-looking shelf under telephone.
    {{gwi:1676206}}

{{gwi:1638021}}

{{gwi:1676207}}

{{gwi:1676208}}

{{gwi:1676209}}

{{gwi:1676210}}

{{gwi:1676211}}

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gglks, I have been admiring your kitchen for the longest time. thanks for the inspiration.

the end goes slowly but we're getting there!

• gglks
    14 years ago

kc....what is that pendant????? i LOVE it..... even that just makes a huge difference!!!!!!!! it really looks great....trust me!

• jrueter
    14 years ago

kitchenconfidential,

I love your kitchen and the new paint is fabulous. Your pendant is amazing and fact that the rest of the kitchen doesn't compete with it really helps the pendant stand out and make a statement. My favorite inspiration pics are pretty calm with just one or two really amazing things and I think you have succeeded with that formula. I am nearing the end of my remodel and purposely chose very neutral materials with the thought of being able to add very colorful accessories and plan to change them out regularly. Maybe I have design ADD since I couldn't pick one color!

gglks,
    amazing kitchen before, but WOW what a reminder of how the smallest details pull everything together in the after. Great job all around.

boxer,
    love your sense of style, your sense of humor, your treasure trove of pictures and willingness to share them all!

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the support.

The pendant is from Shadesoflight.com:
    http://www.shadesoflight.com/fasciati-glass-lantern.html

I still need to get glass shelves and the door with panes for that cabinet by refrigerator. I am also trying to decide whether I like the back of the cabinet to be painted the same color as the walls or just leave it white. I think I am leaning towards leaving it white. You could see it in the picture but it isn't lit below the first shelf as I still haven't placed the order for the glass shelves.

Taking a step back from being so TKO really helped. I took my time choosing the lighting - many returns, many days and nights staring at the computer screen. I knew I liked lanterns but was drifting in another direction. The breather helped. I am very happy with the lighting choice. I am working on the other rooms that look into the kitchen and the lantern pulls everything together.

• positano
    14 years ago

oooh I love love your pendant! Excellent job, you must feel great. Now I want a sparkly new pendant.

gglks- Your kitchen looks so beautiful, love the pops of color. Thanks for the shout out, I feel the same way about my kitchen sometimes. But it is so easy to change out the flowers or accessories to get a new vibe in it. I'm working on finalizing my backsplash. One day I'll post official finished pictures.

Glad your feeling better Kitchenconfidential. I don't think I told you last time, but I love your backsplash!

• altagirl
    14 years ago

I love everything about your kitchen. LOVE the color, LOVE the backsplash, LOVE the pendant! The uc lights really warm it up but keep it uncluttered. I think you did a perfect job of keeping it soothing (not sure if that's what you were going for), refreshing, and interesting. You did an amazing job! I'm glad to hear you're loving it, too.

• littlesmokie
    14 years ago

Hi kitchenconfidential2, I really appreciate you starting this post, it's helped to prepare for the inevitable bit of let down when it's all over-even when "it" is objectively fabulous.

I LOVE the wall color you chose and agree the pendant is wonderful. I'm happy you are feeling happy now.

FWIW, I don't feel your warmer wood floor tone was "conflicting" with your overall cool/neutral color scheme. I can think of many kitchens I've admired (ina garten/aka barefoot contessa; katieob; segbrown many others I'm sure) that have an overall cool/neutral black/white color scheme who have heart pine, white/red oak, or fir floors. Those kitchens are timeless. Just like yours.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Dawn

• kitchenaddict
    14 years ago

I'm so glad this thread got bumped up as I am new to the forum.

kc...I just wanted to say that I too love the look of your kitchen. It is elegant. I even think it looked that way before you added those special touches! I hope you continue to enjoy it! I know I would!