SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
senna1_gw

Salvaging (very) sick Jade

13 years ago

I have a jade plant that was given to me about 3 years ago; it's a substantial plant, about 18" high & across, with 2 main (~2-3") branches at the base. It was doing great until about 6 months ago, when it started to lose its deep lush green color and started to get a bit "droopy". I moved it outside as soon as the weather permitted for maximum light, but things didn't improve much.

Well, today I figured out the problem, but I'm afraid it's too late. At lunch, I looked out to the jade, which to my horror had completely fallen over in its pot. On inspecting the root system, I found that there are basically no healthy roots left; all rotted away. I emptied the pot, and found a sodden mess of wet soil; obviously the pant hadn't been draining properly for quite some time.

I immediately took half a dozen cuttings from the plant, ranging from 4" - 9"; thankfully, the cuttings are all white/green and healthy, no sign of rot traveling up the branches, so I'm confident I'll be able to get clones growing from those in the standard way.

Now, though, is the real question: is there ANY chance of salvaging the main plant that's lost its root system? If so, how? I've gotten my hands on new potting soil for succulents/cactus, will the jade re-root itself if I plant it in fresh soil?

Comments (7)