SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wakeupcoffeeperk

Sick Jade :(

wakeupcoffeeperk
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I apologize in advance if this has come up recently, I'm incredibly worried about my Jade and have looked everywhere online for remedies but only seem to find conflicting information!

I have a large Jade that is at the very least 29 years old. It does need to be re potted into better draining soil as the soil it came to me in is not the best, so I know that's an important step in the near future, but I'm afraid to re pot as it seems sick to me right now. I think I may have either under watered or over watered it. I know it should be easy to know which I've done but because of the size of it I never know how much is too much so I always err on the side of caution and keep water from it until it's very dry. In the last month it's lost A LOT of leaves. It used to be very full but now it's so very thinned out from leaf drop. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to it. New, tiny leaves are dropping, large old leaves as well. Many of the sick leaves have brown around their edges until they fall off, some wrinkled. Some leaves are very thin, some very plump. Some are bright red, some aren't! Some are even curled. If this was a tiny plant I wouldn't be so bothered but at close to 30 years old and so big, it would break my heart for it to die. The soil seems dry to me at the moment but I'm afraid to water in case I've watered too much. (Last I watered was about 2 weeks ago, until water drained from the bottom, then I stopped.) I live in a province in Canada where it gets very cold. The room the jade is in is on the cool side, but never below ten degrees Celsius. I should mention, most of the winter it was in front of this window with no issue. We had a few nights that dropped in the minus 20's (Celsius) so worried about a draft i moved it back from the window about 2 feet. The room would always maintain at a cool ten degrees anyway. The drop seemed to start up when I moved it back from the window, but it was only a short distance away I didn't think it would make much of a difference, I just wanted to avoid a draft. I've since moved it back to the window to see if it is a light issue causing the drop. I'll try anything, I love this plant. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments (10)