SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

Identifying Trovita vs. Seedless Valencia

cebury
14 years ago

How do you tell the difference between Trovita and Seedless Valencia? Were there seedless (like Midknight) available for planting 20 years ago?

I have an orange tree in my backyard -- it was near death when I moved here and this year finally has a large fruit set. It set one fruit last year, which I thought was navel by ripening date and flavor, but navel end wasn't obvious -- so I assumed it was Valencia.

If Valencia, I assumed they would start ripening by March in my area, at the very soonest. However, they are full, softening, and were starting to drop two weeks ago -- Yesterday I pulled off 5 of the softer oranges and they were mildly tart, but sweet enough for me eat (i.e. not like my Wash Navel). They juiced just fine w/a small bit of sugar. NONE had seeds. Skin wasn't overly thin or thick (not thick like Wash, but not thin like clementine mand).

How can I differentiate between a Trovita and Valencia (seedless) or do I have a new sport on my hands ;-) : by fruit (shape, rind, seeds, cling past one season) or leaf (petiole, blossom, thorns, etc). Perhaps do only Valencias re-green?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County