SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zioviche

Need instructions for caring for 2 varieties of Clematis

viche
17 years ago

Hi!

I have a Clematis Mrs. Cholmondeley and a Clematis Sprinkles PPAF that I purchased this past summer and planted in planters. The planters are about 18" x 18" at the top. I plan to keep them in containers for at least a couple more years. I've brought them into the garage and plan to water about once a month. I have not prined yet. It has been incredibly warm this winter, and both of them appear to have new buds. Can you offer best practices for pruning and fertilizing?

From what I've read, the Cholmondeley is a Group 2. Here's some info that I've found searching the web: "Prune in February or March (after the leaf buds open slightly - does this happen even in frigid temperatres??) by removing dead and weak stems, then cut back remaining stems to the topmost pair of large, plump green buds. This cut could be a few inches to a foot or two from the stem tips (by pruning those in Group 2b as if they were Group 3 type plants, you can get a bigger display of flowers later in the year. If you don't prune down, they will bloom earlier in the year). You may be able to force a flush of new growth from the base by cutting the vine back to 18 inches immediately after the flush of bloom in June."

So what of this is correct?

For the Sprinkles, which are Group 3, if found: "These varieties bloom first on new growth beginning in midsummer, and then again on new shoots in early fall. Plants in this group flower on the last two to three feet of the current season's growth. This is the easiest group to prune since no old wood needs to be maintained. In late winder/early spring, when they are completely dormant, (they don't appear to be dormant, by the way) cut each stem to a height of about two to three feet (or 12-14"). Leave at least two pairs of buds (4) on each stem of the plant. This will include removal of some good stems and buds. Eventually the length of the bare stem at the base will increase as the vine matures. You can also control flowering time by either pruning later so that flowers are produced later, or not pruning some of the vines so that you may get flowers earlier.

Again, what should I follow and/or ignore?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (20)