SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garret_87

Meyer Lemon Winter Leaf Loss and Branch Die Back

11 years ago

Hello community! I have had my Meyer Lemon tree for many years now and have made it my hobby to care for it. We have had our ups and downs. In zone 6 it does very well in the summer (outside) and usually has some set backs in the winter (inside).

Due to low light levels in my apartment during the winter, I purchased a 2ft 4bulb t5 HO Florescent grow light. That was an improvement last year, so this year I purchased a grow tent for the Meyer to live in while indoors.

It has been inside the tent for half the winter now and the tree has not been happy. It was attacked by scale (just like every winter) so I gave it two treatments of horticulture spray and the problem was resolved. Now it is dropping leaves by the day and several branches are dying back. Before the leaves drop their veins turn yellow. Pics below.

I have not fertilized at all this winter and have cut back a little on water so its not waterlogged.

Today I took the tree out of the tent and placed it by the window to get at least 3hrs of direct sun a day plus the grow light. I also hooked up a humidifier near the tree.

What is the issue and what actions should I take next?

{{gwi:559921}}
{{gwi:559922}}
^Pics of the leaves before they drop^

{{gwi:559923}}
^Branch die back^

{{gwi:559924}}
^Still flowering, but no lemons hold^

Comments (13)