SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marymiser

Meyer Lemon making flowers despite leaf drop

MaryMiser
11 years ago

Hi!

My lemon tree had a bit of a shock this winter when it came home (not the best time to buy a lemon tree, or so I've heard) and lost most of its leaves.

It lives in a pot on the balcony, and I bring it inside when it is particularly windy or cold. I water it regularly, around once every ten days, or when the soil is dry to the bottom of my finger. I haven't been fertilizing, since it's winter and I was advised against that, but I'll start once the weather is reliably warm.

As you can see, the tree has a fairly strange shape. It came this way; I didn't tell it to grow all it's branches off to one side! I just put it like that on the balcony so that it gets plenty of sun.

Now it is finally getting warm, and my tree is putting out really TONS of flowers, every day I see four or five new ones, but it isn't making a single new leaf. The buds just fall off after a couple days, so I think maybe the tree has a psychological problem more than anything.

I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to help my tree grow new leaves! I'm open to any suggestions whatsoever, actually, I'm barely a newborn when it comes to plant care.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH