SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tritonslo_gw

Meyer Lemon leaf yellowing with massive flower budding

tritonslo
18 years ago

So here is the problem. I planted a very healthy Meyer lemon tree into a 20 inch pot last october. After a couple weeks I gave it some fertilizer and a massive number of blossoms started to appear which I was thrilled about. They just seemed to come from everywhere. Since then(~2 months) the blossoms have continued to bloom. I'd say over a hundred blossoms have come up. The problem is that since then the leaves have slowly yellowed and fallen off, starting with the oldest leaves at the bottom of the tree and now making its way up all the branches. I'd say over half the leaves have fallen off. Each leaf will take about 1-2 weeks to become completely yellow and then fall off. At first I thought it was due to nitrogen deficit so I gave it some more fertilizer but that made the problem worse. Lately I've thought it might be the fact that the root ball is not getting enough water(the water doesnt seem to penetrate the original soil too well and instead drains down the sides). If water deficit is the case then why do the blossoms continue to bloom in force? Also, if Nitrogen overdose is the problem then why are the leaves still yellowing two months later. I'm thoroughly confused. I'm hoping some fellow citrus growers may have had experience with this sort of problem.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!