SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wert9wert

Newer than a newbie .... need advice :)

wert9wert
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking about carnivorous plants for awhile and have found this site so full of information.

I bought a Sarracenia at Home Depot the other day and it's doing great sitting on my screened porch. I'm in South Florida. Now I read that these plants should be in the sun - well, does that include our "Florida Sun" (which is a lot hotter than normal sun areas)?

The areas that I have to plant in are either full sun or under trees with dabbled sunlight. Temps range from the summertime high 80's to "maybe" a day or two of 45 degrees in the winter - and of course always humid. So I need your expert advice as what to start out with and where to plant them (sun or partial sun). I want to plant in pots not the ground.

Right now, the Sarracenia I bought is putting out a lot of new shoots. I just put the pot it came in in a twice as big ceramic pot without a hole. The lip of the original pot holds the plant up from reaching the bottom of the ceramic pot ... the water drains through the original pot into the ceramic pot.

So (I hope I'm making sense with all of this) - please recommend some plants to start out with. Presently, I'm looking at the flytraps and the butterworts - does that sound right?

Thanks in advance - Loretta

Comments (8)

Sponsored