SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzanva

Meyer Lemon & Key Lime Questions--sharing a pot

LizzaNVA
12 years ago

I just joined this forum and have some questions about two plants. I've been a reasonably successful citrus container gardener for about 5 years now--I haven't killed anything yet and have had several great harvests of Meyer lemons and tangerines. I about 3 months ago I bought a pot with a Meyer lemon AND a Key lime. They were covered with flowers that mostly all dropped off (I expected it with the change of venue) but they've recovered and have a new crop coming in. I'd planned on giving them to my brother as a housewarming gift. He's done really well with the other container plants I've given him but I want to make them as easy to care for as possible. So my questions are:

Can I repot them when they have fruit on them?

I put them in a larger pot (the roots were not crowded) when I bought them b/c I wanted something nicer. I just learned about the gritty mix so will use that instead of the citrus soil I used.

Also, does anyone have experience with cross pollination? Will my limes taste like lemons and visa versa?

I also don't want to double shock them--repotting and then giving them a new home right away. Any suggestions on timing?

Thanks!

Comments (4)