SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doginthegarden

Angel's Trumpet transplant, SoCal

doginthegarden
14 years ago

Next on my task list for my crazy yard is to transplant an Angel's Trumpet tree. It's the last survivor of three potted ones that were given to us as a wedding present a decade ago. One of the other two died in the winter several years ago when we (gasp) had frost here in the west SFV. The second one died after a transplant into the yard at our last house. I think the siting was a) too sunny and b) into clay soil that wasn't well prepared.

The tree is about 5' tall with about 5 stalks, and probably rootbound in the big lightweight pot that it's been in for several years. It's pretty healthy as long as I keep it shady and watered, but doesn't bloom. At my last house I had constant issues with some bug nibbling holes in the leaves, but that hasn't happened at the new house. I found a nice spot to plant it that has some sun but mostly shade, fairly dry soil, some windbreak, and headroom to grow without running up into any of the larger trees. Plus a showcase spot at the foot of our driveway. I'll plant it soon, hopefully before the next rain.

I plan to......dig a hole, add in some planting soil and some kind of food, probably some all-purpose plant and vegetable food that I have on hand, and plant it fairly loose so the roots can expand. I checked the Brugmansia forum but didn't see anything too relevant (though I did learn that teenagers brew its flowers for hallucinogenic effect) so I thought I'd ask here if any comments or localized tips?

Thanks so much, Shannon

Comments (6)