SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mutton_buster

Several Questions About Poppies And Lupine

mutton_buster
18 years ago

I have a smattering of questions as I'm fairly new to gardening about California poppies and lupine.

I planted the California poppies mostly in spring and many of the plants bloomed like wildfire until 2 or 3 weeks ago. However, there were some that refused to bloom and didn't put up the secondary stems which seem to be the ones that have the bulbs. The ones that didn't bloom had much thicker stems and leaves, which I thought maybe could be the result of overwatering or maybe they were even a different species. 1) Will overwatering keep poppies from blooming, though the plants still look healthy?

I got perhaps too excited and planted many seeds in a small area. I weeded out some of them, but still left it fairly thick with plants. Once again some of the plants grew well but refused to bloom. 2) Can this be the result of them growing too close together?

I also planted the red variety of california poppies, but there refused to bloom. 3) Are red california poppies more difficult to grow?

I had a few lupine that just finished blooming and it seems that they throw off one main flower (except for one which had two others off the base), the seed pods grow as the petals dry up, and then it dies. Somehow I got the idea that if I clipped off the stem from the main flower once it finished blooming, that maybe some of the buds on the sides of the plant will grow. 4)It seems the plants that I did this with aren't dying or at least not yet, so I wondered if this works and if it works with other plants to keep them going.

Also, I have a few plants that I'm trying to identify, but it would probably be useless to try to do so unless I posted pictures. I posted some pictures on the forum before but haven't seen many other people do so, so I wondered if it was okey to do so?

Sorry this is so lengthy.

Comments (5)