SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightrsflame

over flooding- help!

firefightrsflame
15 years ago

Okay so updated from my "yellowing" post...we found a BIG issue with our drip line. It came lose and husband can't remember when he last checked it. So therefore I have no idea how long this has been going on. My guess is the last 3 weeks is when I've really noticed something not quite right out there. But we've had hot and mild weather back and forth and my fault for assuming that's all it was. But we found today that the drip line came unscrewed. Easy fix thank goodness.

Anyway, I turned off the water 3 days ago when hubby first came home not knowing what was going on but suspecting overwatering. Today I checked soil with a moisture meter and most everywhere is reading "moist" to "wet" depending on where I test, etc. So, my question is at what poit is the acceptable level where I can safely turn water back on? Doesn't the soil need to dry somewhat then water? I am thinking in 2 days test it again to see what reading I get. We have a clay soil. I had someone tell me today I can use regular dish soap to help the water percalate. But shouldn't I let it dry out a bit more if there is saturation in there now before trying the dish soap?

I am so afraid of losing my plants and palms back there. Once everythign is back on it's regular schedule should i apply a light fertilizing to help gain some nutrients back?

THANKS and sorry so long.

Comments (3)