SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txgardennewbie

Advice for Shrub (Orange County)

txgardennewbie
13 years ago

Hi there. I'm looking for some advice. I live in a typical South OC suburban community. Spanish Mediterranean style. Corner lot -- my house is exposed on the side. See photos.

I've got a large dining room window that is exposed to the street and my neighbors. I'd like to gain some privacy. It doesn't have to be 100% or anything -- just something that's attractive and breaks up the view. I was thinking of finding a shrub that could grow to 8-10' tall but be maintained within the small space it has to live (namely 3-4' deep by 6-8' wide).

This wall faces west-southwest and gets full sun from sunrise till noon. I've got good, amended soil plus drip irrigation if required. I'm organic.

Shrub Requirements:

- Is consistent with style of existing landscaping (again see photos)

- Is attractive -- it's seen from both inside & outside the house

- Is moderate-to-fast growing

Ideal:

- Blooms -- is interesting. Everyone sees my house when they drive by. Per my existing plants, I like yellows, reds, whites, oranges. A blue that pops would be great as well.

Nice to Have:

- Low water once established (native or drip irrigated)

My concern is can I prune a shrub to fit the space and make it look naturally??? In other words, no sheering or obvious symmetry.

I like Ceanothus (Sierra Blue), but can it be pruned to fit a 3-4' depth (width is OK) -- and still look naturally AND bloom? Any input on that?

I'd appreciate any other recommendations. City: Rancho Santa Margarita. 23 Sunset Western, 9B USDA.

Thx,

Richard

http://photobucket.com/5e32U?albumview=slideshow

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of House

Comments (25)