SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baconquest

Lime and 5-1-1 Question

baconquest
11 years ago

Hey Everyone!

I'm a newbie to container gardening and citrus growing, and this site has been FANTASTIC in helping guide me. So first, thanks to everyone for their postings and inadvertantly helping me!

Ok onto my question. I got a meyer lemon from four winds for christmas. I made pretty much every mistake within the first 2 weeks of ownership. I potted a 3 year old tree in a 10+ gallon container using MG Citrus/Palm/Cactus garbage (aka peat with a little bit of perlite!). I gave it a good watering when I potted and left it a lone for 3 weeks, and sure enough the soil was still sopping wet. The leaves were beginning to yellow and I knew I had to get it out of that mix. I re-potted in a 5 gal container using Al's 5-1-1. After feeling good about what I had done, and creating a complete mess of my living room from the activity, I realized I left the lime out!

How critical is the lime for the 5-1-1 mix? I know citrus prefers slightly acidic soil but I'm not sure of the repercussions for no adding it. Also, if it(or gypsum) is necessary, can I add it gradually when I water? I currently use Miracid for my fertilizer, teaspoon every 1-2 weeks right now. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Mike

Comments (10)