SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
questioningserenity

Newbie Citrus Lover

So Lowe's seem to be prepared to get me in trouble with the prepping of spring already starting(I'm a cashier). Last year I found this website for roses and herbs. This year, I'm eyeing the fruit plants. I'm located in Northern Florida, and was only patio container gardening last year(I live in apartments) But this year, I managed to get permission to use an unused plot of land for an attempt of in ground gardening this year(insert evil laughter here)

So getting back on track now. I'd like to dip my fingers in growing a citrus plant or three. Currently I'm thinking of keeping them 'patio plants' to see how I do both in keeping them alive and in seeing how the ground gardening does(First year EVER not gardening in a pot) I managed to find a nice 'cocktail tree' of meyer lemon and key limes. It's about 2-2.5 feet with its pot. The lil guy is covered in blooms on one side, with a few just starting fruits(from what I looked up online of the fruit growth process) And the other currently has 2 yellowing fruit on the other side, 2x golfball sized. It's going to go on my patio, which receiving 6-7 hours of sunlight in the front(where the citrus will be) Rain usually doesn't hit my potted too much if ever, so watering is strictly my control)

My questions for ya'll would be; 1. What other citrus would ya'll suggest? I'd love a smaller orange-y type for snacking and a larger orange for juicing if ya'll know of any that would do well in my area. I've been scanning this forum the last day or two and so many varieties!
2. What's the best way to go about repotting them? I figured it'd probably be best to repot after I bring them home, or should I wait? I've noticed some people suggested a soil/peat/pine bark type mixture? Is jungle growth a good soil type to be used as part of this mixture? Can I add compost to mixture?(I've never used compost or manure, but wanna try adding this year. I've used the fish crud and a granule fertilizer last year for my roses, fruits, herbs and veggies)
Silly question, but can dog's eat citrus? I've a pup who decided to 'help' us bring in the plants the other night by snatching the fallen green tomato, but didn't want to give it up. Thankfully he didn't eat it, but just want another's opinion just in case I find remains of a stolen citrus.
And last but not least, Is it legal to take a mini tree across state lines if it's your personal plant? My husband is military, so if he gets orders for another state, there's a possibility it might come with me(depending on size and such)

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Sereniti

Comments (5)