SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_q

Love Hate Relationship

cindy_q
18 years ago

Ok,I have this tree in my front yard that i've been thinking an awful lot about lately. I've been in my house for 3 years now and I'd thought we'd agreed that even though we have this mammoth tree in my front yard that obscures the whole front of the house that since it was so old it just had to stay. How could we cut down a tree that has to at least be as old as my 80 year old house maybe/probably older. There are definite pros to having this tree such as the swing we have attached to one of its large branches. It is a great big old climbing tree, in fact it may be the best climbing tree I have ever seen. It attracts all kinds of birds that enjoy watching in the spring and summer. The birds flock to this tree and the tree is so close to the house and some of the branches so low hanging that we really get a glimpse of flock dynamics and get to know the birds on sight and can even recognize couples and their offspring that are often hatched and raised right there in our tree. Those are all the pros. But as my post title indicates there is a flip side to our tree love affair. The reason this tree just kills me is because first off its a huge tree and even though we've had it trimmed it still obscures the view of my very cute house that we've done so much work on that we'd like for it to be more visible. We have a small front yard and this tree limits all of the things I wish I could do in it. The tree also sucks up all the nutrients in the yard and everything I plant including grass competes for everything including sunlight. The result is grass that struggles all year long and never thrives or stays green. Plants that grow slowly or not at all or just die outright. My fear is also that if this tree were ever to be blown over in a hurricane is that if it didn't land on our house it could still damage it because I am certain the root system probably runs to at least the middle of my house and since this is a tree that you can't even wrap your arms around i'm sure it could rip up my house if it were uprooted. So with all of that, what would you guys do? I feel guilty at the thought of even cutting this tree down but I feel like we'll never be able to have the yard we want with it there. Thanks for everyones thoughts on this.

Cindy Q

Comments (13)