SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralphw_gw

Pine Bark Effects On Seed Germination

Ralph Whisnant
17 years ago

I am about to start planting seeds inside for all sorts of flowers and vegetables, and I am concerned about whether pine bark in the planting mix will inhibit germination of some of the seeds. I grow a lot of plants in pots and recently have been using a mixture of mostly aged, ground pine bark (sold as soil conditioner) plus a small amount of composted manure from Lowe's, which is mostly sand. I add a little lime to counter the acidity of the bark, and in the summer add a little Epomea plant food. This mixture provides fast drainage which is an advantage during the winter and works well for starting cuttings, potting up small seedlings, etc., but I am concerned about whether I can use it for seed germination. Last fall I attended a lecture on Blueberries at J C Raulston by Dr. Ballington during which he strongly recommended mulching Rabbiteye Blueberries with pine bark because it has a low pH and because it is thought to have allelopathic properties that inhibit weed seeds from germinating. I have noticed that one of the major commercial potting soil companies, Fafard, has aged pine bark in all of their Southern mixes except for the seed starter which is 50/50 peat moss and vermiculite. I also have been incorporating ground pine bark into the top layer of soil in the raised beds that are now growing transplants of lettuce and other cool weather crops, but that may be direct seeded with crops like corn, beans and okra later. Of course if pine bark controls weeds well enough, it might be worth the effort to start more things from seed inside and transplant them into the garden as recommended by the author of Square Foot Gardening.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional