SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcgargantuette

Plant suggestions for new, sloping, shady backyard in Los Angeles

mcgargantuette
17 years ago

We're moving to a new house in the West L.A. area, and I'm hoping for some suggestions to get me started in my quest for plants. (Our current yard is very sunny, and while I have many "favorite" plants -- right now, japanese anemone (Honorine Jobert), cape rush, satsuma tangerine, kangaroo paws, floribunda and single roses, etc etc) -- I don't have many ideas for how to plant the shady slope area (top third of the yard).

I've only seen the yard in the late afternoon; it was very shady then, though I don't know how much, if any, sunlight it gets during other parts of the day. The shade comes from some mature, fairly high-canopy trees at the top of the slope; right now it's planted with a couple of tiny hostas and a couple of small camellias. There is a small area of grass mid-slope between the shady top third of the slope and the house/deck at bottom of the slope. I've not had a chance to check, but I would guess that the soil in the shady area is clay, though it may have been amended somewhat.

I'd love to hear your suggestions, if you're willing. Thanks very much!

Comments (4)